• Hallo there,
    Planning and trying to get ready to my new life.
    I plan to give almost full attention and my schedule to the new family girl or guy. However, I will need to go out once a day for my swimming, and super market etc. can she left alone for that time or must I bring dog sitter everyday for 2 hours? ( it also budget issue,,..)
    Thanks,
    Meir

• Hi,
    I leave my boy home for 1-2 hours regularly. If he is upset, he may chew on something, or find some personal item to either play with, or destroy. As long as you keep your valuables out of reach, it will be fine.
    Tom

• A couple of hours shouldn't be a problem. With a dog that hasn't proven trustworthy you might want to consider a crate or restricting the dog to an area where there isn't much it can damage. Leaving a treat or toy to play with can help a lot. I found one of those balls that you put treats in and the dog has to roll the ball to obtain them is useful, or a Kong stuffed with something tasty. It can keep the dog occupied for awhile and make your absence less stressful. It's a good idea to make your departure and return very low key. Separation anxiety can be fed by people making a big deal out of their absence.

• You can work on it - opening the front door and closing it, without leaving. Then leaving for a minute, then a little more, and so on. What also helps a lot, strange as it may sound, is telling that you are going and when you will be back (make sure you are back at the right time!). Never a problem, for up to 3-4 hours. We don't crate our two sisters - they sleep all day anyway. Good luck!

• Thank you all for the support and advice.

• I'd like to add, don't sneak out. The dog should know that you are leaving, because otherwise it may panic when it can't find you. I had a regular routine for when I was going out which involved loading my boy's roller ball, putting him on a "stay", placing the ball, and then releasing him with an "O. K." as I went out the door. This particular dog had had a separation anxiety problem and I found getting him to anticipate a "good thing" (his treat filled ball) when I chose to go out alleviated his concern about my leaving. On my return I always greeted him in a very low key way, never making a fuss over him. We got to the point where he often didn't get off the couch on my return! I knew then that I had the separation issue beaten.

• @Cafu said in Leaving her alone???!!:

Hi,
    I leave my boy home for 1-2 hours regularly. If he is upset, he may chew on something, or find some personal item to either play with, or destroy. As long as you keep your valuables out of reach, it will be fine.
    Tom

The issue isn't valuables. The issue is if he destroys and eats something that could kill him. Any dog that chews or destroys needs crating until he really is safe alone.

Suggested Topics