• Hi I'm in the Chicago suburbs looking to rehome our 11 month old basenji. Any tips would appreciated. Is BRAT the only option?

• Have you spoken to the breeder? Was there a contract? Responsible breeders require that the dog be returned to them? And if not a responsible breeders that will take back the dog, then BRAT is your only responsible option

• @rachel92 said in Need to rehome my mom's Basenji:

Hi I'm in the Chicago suburbs looking to rehome our 11 month old basenji. Any tips would appreciated. Is BRAT the only option?

Rachel, as already indicated, a responsible breeder should be your first contact. If that isn't an option for you, then rescues are the next best options.

Is there an issue with BRAT that makes you hesitant about using them? For your area, they are the most responsible option. While Florida has the wonderful Pam Hamilton's Camp Basenji, and there is Colorado Basenji Rescue, BRAT covers your area. Looking on the list, you have Peggy Pick and Liz Newton. Personally, I know nothing about Peggy, but Liz is wonderful. Doing any private adoption such as through Craig's list or the paper is very risky. There are often people here looking.

Is there an issue requiring you to rehome your dog? Is it a male or female, neutered, fanconi tested?

• I agree with the other posts, all responsible breeders will make you sign a contract returning the dog to them if things don't work out. Otherwise I would have no worried about BRAT, they are a very good organization that will ensure your dog is well cared for and placed in a good vetted home. I regularly donate to BRAT and they are good people who care about the breed.

• Hi, my name is Allison - are you still looking to rehome your Basenji?

• Looking on the list, you have Peggy Pick and Liz Newton. Personally, I know nothing about Peggy, but Liz is wonderful. >

Just to let you all know, Peg is also wonderful, I have worked with her on a number of occasions. I adopted a Basenji from CBR a number of years ago and I wouldn't hesitate to again. I volunteer with BRAT, but when I come across a Basenji in CO that needs rescue I notify Peg first.
    -Joanne

• I see this was initially posted 3 months ago. Anyone know what happened to this pup? Is it still available?

• @wizard
    Sadly I went to the name and they posted and never came back in 3 mos.

Suggested Topics