Hi everyone from LindaK and Bernie

• Although I'm not a new basenji owner, I am new to this Forum. Our first basenji (Shanti) passed away in April of this year, reaching the ripe old age of 17 1/2 years. We had Shanti from the age of 8 weeks, having purchased her from Mountain Springs Ranch. Her loss was extremely hard on us, and we vowed that she was our last dog. Within one month we realized our home was missing something, and we decided we could no longer be "basenji-less". We decided to honor Shanti by adopting a rescue basenji, preferably an older one that might otherwise have trouble finding a permanent home. Within a short time we were contacted by Karen at Medfly Brigade, telling us about an older female that had just come into her care. We visited with Karen the next day and left with a new family member…Bernie. This is our first experience with a rescue, and we've had our share of challenges with sweet Bernie, but she is absolutely the sweetest, silliest, most loving creature we have ever met. Thank you Karen for everything you do for ALL of these dogs. You and Chuck are angels. With Karen's help we were able to get in touch with Bernie's breeder - Jasiri-Sukari Basenjis - and have learned a little bit about her history. While there is nothing like puppy breath and rubbing a pink puppy belly, there is a LOT to be said for looking into the eyes of an older basenji who is curled up next to you in the "big bed". I'm so thankful we decided to take this route.

• Hi Linda

Good on you for rescuing an older, deserving girl. My last two Basenjis have been acquired from breeders looking to rehome them, and they have both been wonderful companions. Not without some challenges, as you have discovered, but well worth it. Adult problems are often easier to deal with than puppy issues, and often disappear with a period of adjustment…...which admittedly can be fairly long. I am convinced that my current boy thought he was "just visiting" for the better part of a year after we got him, resulting in a few "you're not the boss of me" moments. Now he is a valued and loved member of the family and I don't know what I would do without him. (got him at 3 years old, he is now 12, and the best behaved Basenji in the house I have ever owned. Doesn't even rip up tissue!)

• Wow, did they know the dog was in rescue? The Basenji Sisters (Jasiri-Sukari Basenjis) are well known, am surprised that a dog of their breeding was in rescue if they knew about it.

Bless you for rescuing. I've had more rescues in my life than non-rescues, but honestly my current basenji rescue has been one of them most challenging, lol. We love every molecule, but it's been a ride.

If Bernie has not had a fanconi test, PLEASE make sure the sire/dam are clear or get her tested.

• Wonderful! We have 2 sisters (5 and 6) and we cannot imagine ever being B-less….

Suggested Topics