Skip to content

Plz help- will pee in his crate when locked!

Basenji Training
  • i just recently got my B, and the first night i had him,
    i locked him up into his crate, said goodnite and went to sleep,
    10 minutes later, i come into the room and find him in his own pee and poo,
    with his paws between the wires of the carte!!!:eek:

    any suggestions on good behavior for this???

    thank you!!:)

  • When you have a new puppy, there is an adjustment period… first, I keep their crates in my bedroom so that if a pup needs to go out, I am able to hear them and get them up and out... Also, did you make sure that he pottied first? Had he ever been in a crate?... They don't just take to coming into a new home and then being locked in a crate without some "crate training"....

Suggested Topics

  • Another crate peeing question.

    Basenji Training
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    12k Views
    tanzaT
    I have never had a problem with potty training or crate training… so I disagree with your assessment. Might be true for your Basenjis, but not for mine or any of my pups that were placed. Potty training was the easiest.... Depends on the Basenji... each one is different...
  • Crate training

    Basenji Training
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    6k Views
    AnaA
    He does only poop in his crate, no urine usually. I am trying to gradually get him to like his crate, but I do think it might be a lost cause. But yesterday I left for about three hours and left him in the kitchen. When I got back, I opened the door and looked down to see not only my cat waiting for me but my dog as well… He found a way to get out of the kitchen and have the run on my apartment. I now know why basenjis are called escape artists. I was happy to find that although he had an accident in the living room, he didn't destroy anything. But I won't count on one time to trust him alone. I am going to stick with the kitchen and try to make sure he can't get out.
  • Peeing in the house…help!

    Basenji Training
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    9k Views
    P
    Me too, Pat - I swear by it.
  • Focus help

    Basenji Training
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    8k Views
    wizardW
    I've talked with the owner of the facility it was interesting that the owner had a similar situation in her class but caught the problem the first night. She suggested stay on leash for the sequences and treat more between obstacles (just as suggested here), so I guess we'll try and finish the class after I talk with the instructor and probably take it over with a different instructor. And the owner offered to do a private lesson with us so I'll jump on that chance too.
  • Water in crate?

    Basenji Training
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    4k Views
    B
    @etzbseder: Yeah, I guess I'm still just thinking about the heat. I know it gets really hot inside my room at my parents, and then Medjai does really need water. If you have good AC, or it's not that hot, they could be fine. Our house has great AC and is very comfortable. Thanks for the comments.
  • Peeing in the crate at night

    Basenji Training
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    8k Views
    spitfirekrl1S
    I adopted my B and the foster parent that I picked her up from said she would pee in her crate at night if there was a blanket or any kind of bedding in there but is fine otherwise. When I adopted her we decided to leave her out at night and she also seems to be fine with that.