• We have coons too and way to many, but they don't come in the yard any longer…. and you can always close off the door at night... One of the ones I use is not attached to the slider, so we only (or we used to) take it out when we are out and at night.... don't bother much any more doing it..
    I am surprised that the coons are anywhere in the day time since they are night creatures... that is odd. I alway thought that coons out during the day light would be consider to have health issues?

• So did we…. until a few years ago! LOL

The dog door would make me uneasy even in daylight because we've had coons in the garage in the afternoon.

Once my dd walked out the front door to the garage and said, "Hey! What are you doing out here?". Took a few steps toward the garage and then rapidly turned and came back to the front door. What she had thought was our gray/black cat in the garage was a raccoon! LOL
    They'll sit in the tree right behind our bball hoop and eat the bird seed {they love sunflower seeds, BTW} while the kids are playing ball.

Last week there was a huge coyote just outside our back yard fence, at 1 PM. I thought they were nocturnal, also. Now I don't let my kids play in those woods just off our yard anymore w/out big people.
    I guess the more we incroach on their environment, the more we're changing their behaviors.

• JazzysMom I fully understand your agony with this issue. Chance is going on 6 mts now and he still has accidents. Not too long ago Alex and I were playing keep away with him and he decided to just stop in the middle and pee while looking at me! GGGGRRRRR. If he gets really excited and does a B-500, expect a pee trail. He just loves to run and jump on our bed and dig the pillows while leaving his mark there too! GGGRRR
    Yah..it drives me crazy.
    I've talked to a few others and they said its a "boy thing" I guess he just gets too excited and can't control it. Still….I am about to strap a diaper on him cuz I am getting tired of finding stains.

• This is a puppy thing. When puppies get really excited, like during play they sometimes have to pee. When they are very distracted by things like play they forget to ask to go out. When you play with your puppy you should expect that they will need to go out and that they are going to forget to ask so if you have an idea of about how much play they can handle before they will need to pee invite them outside before you hit that time. If you aren't quite sure then start with after 1-2 minutes of hard play invite them outside to pee. Be sure that when they come back in that you continue the play the session so they learn that even if they take a pee break they can come back and to their play session.

• This is a puppy thing. When puppies get really excited, like during play >>they sometimes have to pee. When they are very distracted by things like >>play they forget to ask to go out.

Not always the case. I mean, I know that play time will bring on pee time, and we do take him out after a few minutes of good play.

However, Keoki will often leave his pee trail AFTER coming in AFTER peeing outside! Or when he's only been in from his last pee for less than half an hour. And yes, we always make sure he pees plenty out side before coming in.

The "puppy thing" I can deal with. It's the "random pee thing" that is getting to me. Like Vanessa, I'm about to go for the pampers cuz I'm sick of finding – usually be stepping in -- trails of pee that I didn't see him making because I was cooking, or carrying laundry, talking to the child who'd just brought him in etc.

• I still think you need to check him for a UTI and they are not always that easy to find… The random pee would be a concern to me also... especially after just peeing outside, however, boy dogs are known for "not finishing" and running off to "dribble" more... but what you are saying certainly sounds more then just "dribble"....

• If you are taking him out to pee and then he is coming inside and peeing more, I would definately be looking into something like a UTI. Is Jazzy still in season?

• No, she is not still in season. I guess I was "letting it go" {no pun intended} because that had been brought up, but she's all done and he's still going.

I plan to call the vet tomorrow – I need to call about Gypsy,too because she's been really limping and having a hard time moving. She looks awful and keeps staring at me like she wonders why I'm not helping. It's awful. I have no idea what she did; I see and feel no injury. My poor baby.

• Keep us posted on your gals!

• I'd be interested to see what the vet says. I adopted Tucker from BRAT August of '06. He was almost 4yrs when I got him. For the first 6 months he was peeing, and, initially, it was trails. Trails across the sofa, trails across the floor, and, one trail across the bed. I figured it would stop after a while, but it didn't for a LONG time. On one occasion, I had just taken him out to pee, and he did, and then left him for an HOUR and came back to a puddle in the kitchen. At this point I was convinced that it was separation anxiety or just outright spite for being left alone. I focused on my relationship with the dog and becoming the 'pack leader'. August will mark the year point and he has only peed in the house once for over 3 months now. I don't know if this relates all that much to your issue aside from him being a male and leaving a trail (ha ha, rhymes!). Perhaps once your's is more acceptable to you leaving him alone and knowing you are coming back, he'll stop peeing everywhere. I feel your frustration, trust me, I do. I have a lovely faux microsuede sofa and he couldn't just pee on one cushion. He had to get all three back cushions, which, of course, drained onto the seat cushions, and then down the crack between the chaise and the long sofa soaking the sides of both. Cleanup took DAYS!

• I forgot to mention that his 'alone time' has changed a lot over a progression of time. I felt bad for leaving him alone all day so I let him have the run of the house aside from by bedroom and the spare. He is not destructive at all under normal circumstances. He peed exclusively on soft surfaces. Never the hardwood, always the sofa or carpet but he perferred the sofa. I left my room door open once and he peed on my duvet and subsequently shredded the spot where he peed to try to 'hide the evidence' I suspect. Thankfully, he never shredded my sofa but he did pull up carpet where he peed. First, I confined him to the kitchen but he was still peeing in there. No biggee, but still a pain in the arse because I wanted to get to the bottom of the reasoning behind it. Then I put him on the balcony during the days (my mutt is NOT a jumper nor a climber aside from bed and sofa). He still pees on a pillow I have on the balcony from time to time and I suspect a part of the reason he pees in the kitchen from time to time is because he can't see outside at all.

• @TuckerVA:

I'd be interested to see what the vet says. I adopted Tucker from BRAT August of '06. He was almost 4yrs when I got him. For the first 6 months he was peeing, and, initially, it was trails. Trails across the sofa, trails across the floor, and, one trail across the bed. I figured it would stop after a while, but it didn't for a LONG time. On one occasion, I had just taken him out to pee, and he did, and then left him for an HOUR and came back to a puddle in the kitchen. At this point I was convinced that it was separation anxiety or just outright spite for being left alone. I focused on my relationship with the dog and becoming the 'pack leader'. August will mark the year point and he has only peed in the house once for over 3 months now. I don't know if this relates all that much to your issue aside from him being a male and leaving a trail (ha ha, rhymes!). Perhaps once your's is more acceptable to you leaving him alone and knowing you are coming back, he'll stop peeing everywhere. I feel your frustration, trust me, I do. I have a lovely faux microsuede sofa and he couldn't just pee on one cushion. He had to get all three back cushions, which, of course, drained onto the seat cushions, and then down the crack between the chaise and the long sofa soaking the sides of both. Cleanup took DAYS!

I just read this Tucker - For a 4 year old, it must be extremely frustrating. I've read elsewhere that a vet should check for a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). I hope you've had him checked out. When you take him outside, reward him for doing his duties there with verbal happy talk. I've said the nastiest things to Daisy in a happy upbeat voice - She thinks I'm happy for her peeing outside (which is good), but I'm actually getting out my frustrations! 😃 😃 Also, try picking up or limiting the water if you're leaving the house. Cleaning up pee every time you turn around is aweful! I can imagine how hard it was to clean your sofa. Poor you! It is hard work to train this important milestone. Keep at it and be consistent with an eye on the clock for timing. I think dogs like consistency with a schedule. They have built in clocks - don't you think?

• Keoki is doing better. Not great, but better. MOST accidents happen somewhere in the vicinity of the backdoor: MOST.

Evening – in the time between say 7 - 8 PM -- is when he seems most likely to pee in the house. It's weird. I try to be very diligent about putting him outside at that time.

And he still freaks out and pees ALL OVER in his crate when left for any time during the day. At night he sleeps in the crate w/out peeing.

Monday night my husband had a committee meeting here. About mid-point in the meeting Keoki decided to trot all the way around the dining table where they were meeting. I didn't realize at the time, but the whole time he was trotting, he was peeing! LOL He totally surrounded them with urine!

I was cracking up, and the other people seemed amused {I think they are all dog owners}. Dh was totally embarrassed as I crawled around the floor wiping it all up. He WAS able to laugh about it later . . . sort of. 🙂

• @JazzysMom:

I was cracking up, and the other people seemed amused {I think they are all dog owners}. Dh was totally embarrassed as I crawled around the floor wiping it all up. He WAS able to laugh about it later . . . sort of. 🙂

Ha ha ha!! I got a visual here and it cracked me up too! It's almost normal (for us with puppies), crawling around - soaking it up - spraying and cleaning some more . . . (what else can you do?) At least your guests were amused. Glad for you that Keoki is doing much better with the potty training.

Also, Daisy is doing better. Way less messes, but she's not quite DONE with it. The last few times I mentioned to DH "It's been a while now since Daisy's peed in the house". I turn around and I step in wet spot! "Where's the Nature's Miracle?" While I soak up the pee, DH and son are scrambling around looking for the bottle - he he! :rolleyes: Two bottles, 1 upstairs and 1 down used to be within arms reach.

I wasn't real successful with the training bells. I had them on the doorwall handle - they were always getting smashed in the door upon closing, so they're removed for now. I hope to try them again another time.

• Hmmm, Damisi decided the other day it was too wet to go outside and peed in the house-first time in a month. Guess she's got the 'wet feet' syndrome!

• Hello,

I have an eight-month female, She is peeing at least 5th times per day. Many times she waits t o be back home to make pee. I do not know what to do I am getting crazy with pees I had nightmares

Thanks in advance for your help

• @mhergom:

Hello,

I have an eight-month female, She is peeing at least 5th times per day. Many times she waits t o be back home to make pee. I do not know what to do I am getting crazy with pees I had nightmares

Thanks in advance for your help

If she is not spayed, she may be in season and they do pee lots more (marking behaviors)…. and this can and does start before you even might see bleeding. 5 times a day is not that much really....

Suggested Topics