• First Basenji's

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with a pup that gets very attached to them? I love my little girl so much but I worry that when life goes back to normal and I go to work she'll get sad that I'm gone! She whimpers when I go to the shower or when I sit in a room alone and close the door. Does anyone have any tips on how to handle this? I don't want my little girl to get depressed when I have to go back to my 9-5! It may be worth mentioning that my boyfriend works from home so someone is home at all times of the day to play with her and give her attention.

• Lay the groundwork now for when you will be back to work. Start with short trips out and coming home quickly, and do not make a fuss over her when leaving and returning. Be as "matter of fact" as you can. Increase the amount of time you are gone, and have your boyfriend be just as matter of fact as you are. No drama. If she fusses, ignore it. When you return, ignore her for a few minutes (hard to do, I know). When she is quiet, that's when to make a fuss of her and cuddle her. Try not to reward attention seeking. Ideally you want your dog to calmly notice your return but not be excited by it. Too many people feed the anxiety their pets display by making a big deal out of "reunions", and thus separation anxiety becomes an issue.

• First Basenji's

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the advice 🙂

Suggested Topics