• SF Bay Basenjis

Hi,
    My 15 yr. old B&W female has a hard lump on her front left leg. The vet did a test, then called for more $$ to do another test… then told me she has what might be Spindle Cell type cancer. I asked what it was and treatment and she said best way to prevent spread is to amputate :0 And to go to an oncologist here in San Francisco for more $$ tests and treatment. I was a little shocked that amputation on a 15 yr. old dog was first thing to consider. I'm not doing that to her, she's too old and frail already. So I started reading about Spindle Cell which can be anything from a list of over 15 different kinds of lump cancer under the skin. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this on their B's? And what you did about it? I love my Luna girl but I can't afford thousands of dollars and don't want to torment her last years with operations and pain. I did read one article out of UC Davis that talked about removing visible bone tumors and then radiating once a week for 3 to 4 weeks which requires anesthesia each time.... not sure she could handle that either. I know this might not be survivable for her but I can't find any advice on how to get a dog through cancer, what to look out for, when is she truly in pain, what spindle cell does over time and when is enough for her and time to set her free 😞

• there are sites on the net…

http://www.dogcancerblog.com/blog/astragalus-immune-booster

Prayers ascend, I loss two girls this year ages 13 and 14…
    When researching for adopting a Basenji... I read their life span is 14 to 16 years, so In answer to your question,
    You will know when the time is right to allow your treasured pet to depart to the next realm.
    We are blessed to be able to release them from pain... something we can not do for our human loves.

I have recently adopted a Basenji girl, with health issues...IBD and Separation Anxiety... neither disclosed by
    breeder I adopted her from...I love her and she is pure JOY...working on treating both naturally.
    Wishing you the best... share your loved one name... and we will keep you both in prayer.

• Hi jetred,
    From your post a year ago… this is exactly the type of information I'm searching for, "I know this might not be survivable for her but I can't find any advice on how to get a dog through cancer, what to look out for, when is she truly in pain, what spindle cell does over time and when is enough for her and time to set her free."
    So I am wondering, what was your plan with Luna? How did you make decisions? What information did you learn that you think is important to know about the spindle cell cancer disease process?
    I have a 15 yr old girl (aussie shepard mix) who is in good spirits, enjoys slow short walks, putting her nose in the wind, eating, etc all normally. We've had two surgeries already to debulk the tumor on her rear leg. One in 2013, and the second recently in June from which she recovered well for her age. Though it returned quickly (3 mos) and larger this time. It's now an open lesion. I am both astounded and perplexed at how she acts pretty normal given this! My vet (who is a new vet to us as I just moved) initially discussed end of life decisions and then also offered amputation as an option to consider. I would so appreciate any thoughts you have and/or hear more about your story.
    Thank you.

Suggested Topics