• I didn't check them myself…this morning he pooped but then twenty minutes later had a little poop coming out of his bum..I really am suspicious they were emptied by the vet...I just don't understand; even if they were full..why he hasn't reacted this way until coming out of the surgery..?? I really feel like I will call today and ask directly if they did it...to me, his reactions of licking his bum and also the way he is pooping..it all seems classic "I've been expressed"

• Have you had a good look at his anal area? A lot of licking suggests a draining abscess to me…..

• Visually it looks fine, perhaps a little tight but no leakage other than this morning….the vet tech called to ask how he was and I decided to ask "are you sure they weren't expressed?" He asked my vet who said he expressed them twice while there, once while under and then a second time when he pooped in his crate...I don't know why they didn't tell me that when I called yesterday to ask about the licking. They said to wash with warm water and soap and if tomorrow he is still licking it to bring him in and they can see if they are empty but that they should be....he isn't licking nonstop last night or today but has licked a few times..I can't tell if he's being his normal (no pun intended) anal self and focusing on something or if it's bothering him....either way I feel bad for him; last thing I want to do is bring him back to get touched...

What could a draining abscess be caused from?

• @Chealsie508:

What could a draining abscess be caused from?

Anal glands sometimes get impacted and develop an abscess, which is easy to miss until you see some swelling there. The abscess may burst on its own and then be draining fluid until things heal up. I had one boy who was prone to this.

• Glad to hear Oakley is doing okay and now has a gleaming smile! Whenever Spencer had his teeth cleaned, the vet would express his anal glands. She said the dog usually empties them during a procedure, so they go ahead and do it. It never caused him any problems. Spencer did have an anal gland abscess when he was two. It was a shock, because he hadn't had anal gland issues before– or afterward.

Ava is prone to infections (mostly bladder). I use antibacterial babywipes-- they're gentle and keep the area clean. Bacteria can cause an infection and abscess, but it sounds as though Oakley is just having mild discomfort, not any sort of impaction or infection. Hopefully, he'll be his normal self later today!

• Thanks guys, he has no visual swelling and other than some residual poop after defecating or a little poop getting stuck in his bum before he has to go…he doesn't seem to be leaking anything..in fact his by has no odor whatsoever (wish it always was that way!) I've been home from work for about half an hour and I've seen him lick his bum about three or four times..not non stop but it's on his mind...poor little muffin; his mouth doesn't seem to be a bother which is ironic!
    His spirits are up and I'm happy for that...all yesterday he had a glazed look and I hate that look..good to see the spunk back

6:55PM EST: UPDATE: tried cleaning with a warm cloth because he started to look uncomfortable while standing in kitchen while I was cooking..turns out he had a little fecal matter he couldn't get to....don't know why that keeps happening? Trying to get him to drink more water..certainly still licking...I hope tomorrow's better

• Because of the unconventional pick Up of Oakley I forgot to ask how many days I have to wait before I can start brushing his teeth again..any answers for this?

• I always waited 3 or 4 days if there were no extractions…. and just did it with a very soft brush and water... then after a week, all should be good

• Did you decide to try the PlaqueOff, Chealsie? I'm curious if it's working for Oakley.

• I decided not to use the plaque off..I have been brushing more but not everyday as I will going forward. I think I decided not to because last year a
    I expected to have his dental and sort of fix the problem that way and start good habits..then his surgery happened and really it's taken a good long while to get him back on track…I didn't want to add anything that could throw off his system.

Suggested Topics