Skip to content

Spay healing well?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Spay Early or Spay Later

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    22k Views
    senjisillyS
    @mryltis Read this comment from @morgansc within this post dated May 30, 2019, 7:49 AM. It answers your question. Ideally it is best to wait until age 24 months but no early than 18 months. https://basenjiforums.com/post/177284
  • Spaying

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    18k Views
    M
    Maca is not well welcome at the vet, she was there for one day, and the vet was so happy that i was pick up her the same day hahaha she destroyed a cage… they were there because Maca bites Laika and Laika had to stay there several days until i get fixed the garden door, But she was sad and quiet. I dont want to repeat that.. poor girls...
  • Spaying anxieties

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    21
    0 Votes
    21 Posts
    14k Views
    S
    She should heal up quickly and be a great companion to you.
  • Well, crap

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    6k Views
    agilebasenjiA
    No, i'm not on FB, but the universe keeps telling me i need to be, so ask again later in the week. Energy-wise he is great. Took all the curlytails out to the agility field today and he did a few jumps, tunnel, maybe the dogwalk. I think his new idea of agility training is to interfere with Zest and ask for food. It's a lot of fun to (try) to practice agility with 3 basenjis. :rolleyes: It is heartening to hear you did not have to have the tooth pulled. That was sort of my thinking about asking the vet to wait to see him to give the antibiotics a little more time. He had only been on them 2 days (4 doses) when I noticed the swelling.
  • Discharge after spaying

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    20k Views
    P
    Spayed bitches can attract males for some time after spaying but as Ivoss says it can also be the smell of the infection. It should be quite easy to ascertain where the discharge is from. To my mind a metallic smell means fresh blood. I do hope that you'll get results from the swabs and i'm pleased that you have an open minded vet who is prepared to use another opinion.
  • Should I get Abby spayed?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    9k Views
    tanzaT
    @abby_basenji: Well after we discussed it further, even though she has tested clear I really don't know that much about her parents and the amount of inbreeding that was done. Do I really want to breed her? Probably not. Besides that I figured if I really want another B there are plenty of people on here that are reputable breeders that I can get a puppy from to breed if I want, or just get a puppy from. I was thinking though if I want to breed I would get one from a breeder here if I want another B just to have another B, I will get one from BRAT! Anyway her appointment is not until the 27th of october that was the soonest our vet can get her in, so that is when we are going. Good for you…. there are many responsible breeders if you decide to go that way... and certainly many in rescue that need loving homes.... your are doing the right thing.... Kudos to you!!!