Skip to content

To spay or not?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Does anyone have any idea when B's usually go into heat? I have always only had males and my other female was spayed before heat cycle started. I am currently debating if I want to spay Abby or not. Then I also thought about having one litter then spaying. Any thoughts from anyone would be great.

  • Spaying a maiden bitch is a much less complicated procedure than spaying bitch who has had puppies. Basenjis can come into heat as early as 6 months old though mine have always come in for the first time at 10 months.

    As for being interested in breeding please read the thread in the Breeder Talk titled "Interested In Breeding". There are many things to consider before breeding a dog.

Suggested Topics

  • Spay healing well?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    9k Views
    T
    :) thanks everyone for the replies , ;) she's no longer wearing the cone and back to the vet on Wednesday to get her stitches out Now we can have some real fun at the dog parks :)
  • Spaying while in heat

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    Most Vets will not recommend spay during season and unless there is a medical reason for doing it now, will recommend waiting till she is at least 3 to 4 weeks past the end of her season. I would also agree you should put it off and wait. Keep in mind however the neutered males can achieve a tie with a bitch in season, however considered "safe sex"… but since you have two males, this could present a problem, so something to keep an eye on
  • Spaying

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    18k Views
    M
    Maca is not well welcome at the vet, she was there for one day, and the vet was so happy that i was pick up her the same day hahaha she destroyed a cage… they were there because Maca bites Laika and Laika had to stay there several days until i get fixed the garden door, But she was sad and quiet. I dont want to repeat that.. poor girls...
  • Discharge after spaying

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    20k Views
    P
    Spayed bitches can attract males for some time after spaying but as Ivoss says it can also be the smell of the infection. It should be quite easy to ascertain where the discharge is from. To my mind a metallic smell means fresh blood. I do hope that you'll get results from the swabs and i'm pleased that you have an open minded vet who is prepared to use another opinion.
  • Spaying…

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    QuercusQ
    @basenji_fan: I've never heard about breeders recommending waiting till they are over a yr old, that is something completely new :confused: :confused: there are other threads about this topic. A lot of breeders suggest waiting until about a year old, so that physically the dog is mature before the removal of the sex hormones. I would say *most breeders suggest between six months to a year is great. A lot of people would prefer that their bitch not go through a first heat cycle, and that their male not start lifting his leg…which can happen around six months old.
  • Menses and Spaying

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    wrx227wrcW
    She is still bleeding. I rescheduled for two weeks from Thursday. Her mom bled for almost a month and a half before letting the dad mount her. This sucks.