• From Jon Curby

"The Orthopedic Foundation for Animals is happy to announce that Dr. Gary Johnson at the University of Missouri is now offering a DNA test for progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) in basenjis through the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA)! This test will identify individual dogs as clear, carrier, or affected for one form of PRA in basenjis, being referred to as PRA-BJ1. This test will be a cheek swab test, and the genotyping will be done by PCR, like the current Fanconi test. New samples will need to be submitted to OFA for this test. It may be possible to obtain results from existing samples if the dog is deceased. These test kits can be ordered at the OFA website soon. This is a direct DNA test for the disease-causing mutation. The price for this test will be $65.

The breeding recommendations for this form of PRA are the same as those for Fanconi:

Acceptable breedings: clear x clear, clear x carrier, clear x affected

Breedings not recommended: carrier x carrier, affected x carrier, affected x affected

Look for an FAQ about this test on the BCOA website soon.

It is clear from Dr. Johnson's research that there is more than one form of PRA in basenjis. Because of this, testing clear for this particular form of PRA does not indicate that any individual dog is clear for PRA. Dr. Johnson found this mutation to be responsible for approximately 50% of the PRA in affected basenjis that he sampled.

Dr. Johnson is continuing to research this form of PRA and other possible genetic causes for PRA in basenjis. "

• Announcement also went out from BCOA and is posted on the BCOA website. Great news for our breed, every test helps us to make wiser/better breeding decisions

• First Basenji's

Will results if tested be public on the OFA website by default? Is this something that puppy buyers should hope or expect every breeder to take immediate advantage of, or is this something that's more of a priority for affected lines?

• @curlytails:

Will results if tested be public on the OFA website by default? Is this something that puppy buyers should hope or expect every breeder to take immediate advantage of, or is this something that's more of a priority for affected lines?

Yes the results will be made public on the OFA site. Opting out is NOT an option. I would hope that breeders will immediately start testing, I already sent for kits for C-Me and Franie. All breeders should test prior to breeding just like with Fanconi (at least IMO)

• To me, since it is only going to cover SOME of the types of PRA, it is even more critical to test to help the data base and help find out more.

• It is only for 1 form of PRA, Debra, but noted that 50% of the Basenjis showed this mutation of the ones with PRA tested. Baby steps as they say, each and every advance is important and more important that people test their Basenjis.

• Sorry Pat I meant "some" not some types. And yeah, baby steps but exciting ones. 🙂

Suggested Topics