• Thank you Debra for clarifying.

Thank you for the support also. It comes at a time when I needed it.

As for the breeding aspect- I would have kept Mia Bella myself, but she is being placed with people who have had basenji's for 30+ years, so I know they will take care of her no matter what and will keep in touch with me regarding all her issues that may, or may not, develop. My point in breeding this line is that I could very well be a one-off, or it could show a genetic default completely down the road. We will never know unless we move forward. Am I willing to put any puppy down that would have a fault in the future? Absolutely. All of the rest of the puppies in this litter are to be spayed/neutered, so I will have the only breeding puppy. That way I can decide if this will be something to consider in my breeding program down the road. And, those puppies in future that 'may' go to breeding or show homes, will be informed of this event. Any puppies that think are worthy I may or may not keep, but will probably be placed as pets-which will go with a spay/neuter contract.

But again, if everyone keeps what happens with their puppies and dogs secret, these are issues we will all come up with. We could all have something that could, possibly, come out in our breeding program and be unaware of it for generations until the **** hits the fan. Like you said, there are liers, hiders, and totally ignorant people out there.

And the internet is a wonderful tool Debra, don't get me wrong, but I also like to combine it with personal experience in cases like this. I know what the internet says, I spent hours upon hours on this subject trying to make an informed decision on this puppy. But, that still doesn't negate the fact of personal experience. I have been old of horrible experiences as well as good ones. And only I can make a decision like this.

• I commend you on bringing to light what happened because that is something that not only other breeders should see but also owners like myself who plan to stay in the breed. I really never thought or hear of cleft palettes in dogs and it has opened up a line of communication to me that I should be aware of this and research it to become more familiar with it. I admire that you gave her a chance to live and thrive. At a time where it probably made more sense monetarily to put her down (emotionally too), you chose to give her that chance. And seeing pictures of her now is so endearing because she is obviously thriving and is so absolutely pretty..it's a hard thing to choose the path less traveled.

• Arlene, lol, I do want to add something. Others wondered about being so close to a pup and letting it go. But I admit that I have gotten more joy from the love of a pup I "let go" and the love they gave and got from their new home than almost any I kept. I have rarely believed I was the ONLY or even best home for any dog. My chow/coyotee and Sayblee being 2 exceptions.

I just got a "thank you, I love you" from a chow mix I placed 12 yrs ago with one of my best friends. Sally died 8 yrs later, and a woman I had never met but who was friends/neighbors with my friend (the one who is starting a new line btw) offered to take sweet Rachel as she also had adopted her litter mate from me. Donna died about a 2 yrs later with cancer, but Rachel is still doing fine. Her children have grown up with those dogs, her son distraught soon after they got Donna that he couldn't take her for show and tell. 🙂 Count me in on those who understand placing a dog can bring and be joyful. Obviously you have found a great home.

Suggested Topics