• My Basenji is GoGo he is 13 years old.
    He has been very healthy.
    He is just starting to have some trouble
    With his back right hip. He takes his
    medicine very well.

I found our GoGo at our local
    Animal rescue league.

Thanks, Teresa

• We're in Cedar Falls with our 2, Franklin and Eleanor. I introduced ourselves in 2009, and then promptly forgot about it. I need to get better about being on this forum, obviously!

Franklin was just diagnosed with low thyroid; we think he's about 7 yrs old.

Have you had a basenji before?

• Go Go was our first Basenji. He passed away on April 26th. He is missed but he had a good life.
    Thank you for your reply Randy.
    We will be adding a new family member. Yes, he or she will be a basenji. With our family vacation coming up I am thinking it would be best to wait.

• Hi mommyhon1, sorry for your loss, welcome to the forum lot's of info on here. Are you thinking of getting a puppy or another adult dog? My boy Kaiser is today 10 months old and I just love him to bits.

Jolanda and Kaiser

• I would prefer to rescue a younger basenji. It will be a little difficult because I do have cats. Which I wouldn't have a problem training any dog with my cats. My cats love dogs. I have already trained two dogs around my cats.
    Thank you for the welcoming.

• Cats well that's one of the reasons I got a puppy, had two cats both used to our last dog, sadly one recently passed now only have the one and he was scared of the puppy at first now if pup wants to play the cat tells him when to stop and if pup doesn't cat always wins, always watch their interactions to make sure pup doesn't push his luck but he is gentle and cat knows to go high when he gets too frisky. Most cats I know of are the boss of their dogs, it just takes time and patience bringing the two together. It is always exciting getting a new family member.

• Yeah I agree on the cats being the bossy ones.
    When I first got Go Go I had a cat that we called Miss Thing. She was a bit older but was always the boss of the house. She actually chased Go Go into the bathroom and he hid from her in the shower. It was to cute. My cats are inside cats, fixed and declawed on the front paws. I guess Go Go just pushed her last button that day.
    However the Basenji rescue team will not allow a rescue dog go to a family that has cats unless they were previously with cats.
    Right now we have a welch corgi mix named Dexter and he had never been with cats his curiosity was hard to slow down. Now his best friend is one of ours cats named Nala. Any way Nala bugs him until he cleans her and she wants lots of licks. They cuddle and sleep together. Dexter is missing his buddy but he is also loving all of the attention. Too cute.

• @Randy:

We're in Cedar Falls with our 2, Franklin and Eleanor. I introduced ourselves in 2009, and then promptly forgot about it. I need to get better about being on this forum, obviously!

Franklin was just diagnosed with low thyroid; we think he's about 7 yrs old.

Have you had a basenji before?

Low thyroid is pretty common in Basenjis (and many other breeds). Easy to control with Soloxine

Suggested Topics