• After wanting a dog for over 20years and loving Basenji's for almost as long I finally became a very proud Basenji mummy a few months ago. I'm form the UK and currently spending some time in the Netherlands, I looked into finally getting my first dog before christmas, then a few weeks into the new year i decided i'd definately get one this year, I looked online that night and found my girl! (I think we were meant to be!) she was last of a litter and the people who were going to take her just never showed up, so I went to meet her, fell in love instantly and she came home with me within the week.

Now i knew that Basenji ownership wasn't going to be easy (the other breed i like is bull terrier so i clearly have problems here…) and we've had some moments...but words cannot express my love for this little one. I can't remember my life without her!

She's turning 5 months soon and is more than I could ever hope for. I'm at the barn all day with the horses and she's settled so well to the barn life, I was so worried she'd run off but she's such a good girl, life is often hectic and always changing, but i'm her constant so she's always keeping an eye on me and knows to come back to me if she's unsure of anything. She now has off lead walks and is such a good gal, when new people or dogs appear she stops, comes to me and waits for the new people/dogs to come to her. then plays like a maniac!

She's not had an accident in the house for a month now and always tells me what she wants. I'm naughty and now let her sleep on the bed with me, and am I the only one who gets guilty just going to the shops or cinema for a few hours and leaving her alone!?! she's with me 24/7 and I'm a little worried i'm becoming a crazy dog lady...but I really dont care! hehe

she's curled on me now while i write this and she's just the most beautiful girl ever!

anyway, this was just supposed to be a quick hi! so, hi!

• Hello and welcome! She is s lucky girl indeed and at 5 months is still very much a puppy. You may find that in a couple of months, when she is a teen, she will test you and may have to loose her 'off leash' privileges ! Many become headstrong and stubborn and no longer feel the need to stay right beside you, OR, come when called! Just a heads-up for potential safety issue in your future. So glad you are with us, lots of good info from many long-time basenji folks.

• Welcome to the forum. Did you get your Basenji from the UK or the Netherlands?

• Isn't it wonderful how quickly B parents become brainwashed, by their new 4 legged children. " Basenji's Unite " we will conquer the earth.

• Welcom to the forum and congratulations,, your b sounds wonderful and no, you are not the only one that feels guilty for leaving them. Think about it.. you got a basenji… you are already kind of crazy!! 🙂 Ayo is 2 1/2 years old now, and I still hate leaving him. I have only slept away from him one night in the whole 2/ 1/2 years. I know I will have to leave him more often in the future , luckily I already have a perfect place to leave him which worked perfectly that one time. Its a friend who loves dogs, she breeds yorkies and shows many breeds, Ayo loved it at her place. he stayed perfectly calm in his crate, no anxiety whatsoever. I was so relieved. Its good to find a person like that so that hey get used to them, and that way you know that they will be happy when you have to leave them...not everyone can handle a basenji, its hard to find people who can properly "babysit" while you are away. .....

Suggested Topics