How to train a dog to go outside by himself

• @Kipawa:

1. Using a consistent phrase to tell your dog you want him to pee/poop works quite well. Our breeder uses the words "hurry hurry". When we got Kipawa, I started doing that with him in the backyard and it worked - but it takes time, patience, a few treats and TONS of love and praise when he does it right..

I use "go pee" and "poop, poop, poop". Peeing isn't usually an issue, but I feel like an idiot when I am out in the hay shed in winter yelling "poop, poop, poop" as if I am cheering on a sports team. It usually works eventually! He knows what I want, but like most Basenjis, it can take some time…...and in my case, cheer leading.......to get him "in the mood."

• I have always gone out with my pups, even now at almost 2yrs old, I still go out with them in the morning and evening before bed to make sure they go. And I mix it up between walking them on leash out front or going out with them in the backyard

• @tanza:

I have always gone out with my pups, even now at almost 2yrs old, I still go out with them in the morning and evening before bed to make sure they go. And I mix it up between walking them on leash out front or going out with them in the backyard

+1. Also, like eeeefarm, I use "pee" and "poop" as chant words to get them to go - works perfectly. I usually won't leave them out until I've seen them go. As puppies, I would never expect them to go unless I was out there with them. Even as adults, it is the only sure fire way I know they've done their business. And even as adults I still reward and praise when they go outside.

• @renaultf1:

+1. Also, like eeeefarm, I use "pee" and "poop" as chant words to get them to go - works perfectly. I usually won't leave them out until I've seen them go. As puppies, I would never expect them to go unless I was out there with them. Even as adults, it is the only sure fire way I know they've done their business. And even as adults I still reward and praise when they go outside.

Exactly…. a treat is always in hand as a potty reward...... along with praise. It particularly helps in the winter when the weather is not so nice.

• @tanza:

Exactly…. a treat is always in hand as a potty reward...... along with praise. It particularly helps in the winter when the weather is not so nice.

In winter around here, getting to come back inside in the warmth is a reward in itself! I find he takes much less time to "decide" when it is stinking cold out, but takes his time when it's milder. The exception is extreme cold. Once he is holding up all the feet he can, doing what he is out there for completely slips his mind. 😉 Summer is less of a problem, because when we walk around the property he usually gets his business done…...exercise is a good trigger. I don't know why Basenjis are so fussy about their "bathroom habits", but they all seem to be difficult at one time or another, particularly if the weather is not to their liking. (you'd think they would be smart enough to figure out they spend less time in the rain if they "go" at once, but no......that would be too easy!)

• Oakley will pee in the middle of the road or anywhere really but pooping is a whole different story…walking is the only way and he seems to do it in the same spots on our walks.. If the wind so much as sways it will deter him... In the cold he just flat out refuses to go! It is a basenji thing

Suggested Topics