How to train a dog to go outside by himself

• I was not going to respond to you, but will give it one more try, for your dog. If your dog isn't safe in your backyard because of the fence, fix it. If he can get out, other animals can get in. Simple. Re this tie down. Ok, its long you say, dog can pull it all over the yard. got it. How often do you p/u your dogs waste? Lets say daily, still there is a chance you don't see a pile and the line is pulled through it. The dog isn't able to get away from his own waste smell. Even if you p/u the waste, there is still the smell there to him. Dogs like to live in clean areas, if they have the chance. How would you like to have to live in that? If he is out even 1/2 the day, and I suspect it's more..HE is living in that. To me that isn't the way someone keeps a beloved pet. No need to respond. SIGH.

• @sharronhurlbut:

I was not going to respond to you, but will give it one more try, for your dog. If your dog isn't safe in your backyard because of the fence, fix it. If he can get out, other animals can get in. Simple. Re this tie down. Ok, its long you say, dog can pull it all over the yard. got it. How often do you p/u your dogs waste? Lets say daily, still there is a chance you don't see a pile and the line is pulled through it. The dog isn't able to get away from his own waste smell. Even if you p/u the waste, there is still the smell there to him. Dogs like to live in clean areas, if they have the chance. How would you like to have to live in that? If he is out even 1/2 the day, and I suspect it's more..HE is living in that. To me that isn't the way someone keeps a beloved pet. No need to respond. SIGH.

If you actually read my post… I FIXED THE FENCE IN AUGUST which is why i would like to train him to go outside on his own.. because now he can. STOP being so goddamn rude. You're not being helpful at all. Now I'm leaving this thread. WE ALL GET IT... YOU'RE BETTER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE. CONGRATS. I DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK OR YOUR STUPID OPINION. GET A JOB OR A HOBBY YOU DON'T NEED TO BE A SAD INTERNET BULLY. HAVE A WONDERFUL ****ING DAY.

• Whoa.

There is NO REASON to be rude.

Let's remember that sometimes the written word comes across differently in this method of conversation (on-line). Sharron is one of the kindest people I know. She works with rescue and has no doubt seen some very sad things. Her comments are coming from a caring place for the welfare of the dog. Kipawa is 13 months old now, and since we received him (even before) Sharron has given me many wonderful ideas and tips.

P.S. Sharron has a full time job, works basenji rescue and also has hobbies.

• I forgot to mention a couple of ideas that have helped us and others:

1. Using a consistent phrase to tell your dog you want him to pee/poop works quite well. Our breeder uses the words "hurry hurry". When we got Kipawa, I started doing that with him in the backyard and it worked - but it takes time, patience, a few treats and TONS of love and praise when he does it right. Kipawa does tend to not want to pee in his back yard, but has no problem pooping. Funny little character!

2. Just recently we bought Poochie Bells. We hang them on the back patio door. Kipawa has started to figure out that if he rings those bells we are right there to open the door for him.

I also wonder if it is a confidence issue for some basenjis (that they want their peeps with them when they pee). Maybe they feel vulnerable when they are out there doing their business. Kipawa and I have a tight bond, and I know he feels more comfortable if I am there or at least if I am watching him from the kitchen window.

Hope some of these ideas help.

• @Kipawa:

1. Using a consistent phrase to tell your dog you want him to pee/poop works quite well. Our breeder uses the words "hurry hurry". When we got Kipawa, I started doing that with him in the backyard and it worked - but it takes time, patience, a few treats and TONS of love and praise when he does it right..

I use "go pee" and "poop, poop, poop". Peeing isn't usually an issue, but I feel like an idiot when I am out in the hay shed in winter yelling "poop, poop, poop" as if I am cheering on a sports team. It usually works eventually! He knows what I want, but like most Basenjis, it can take some time…...and in my case, cheer leading.......to get him "in the mood."

• I have always gone out with my pups, even now at almost 2yrs old, I still go out with them in the morning and evening before bed to make sure they go. And I mix it up between walking them on leash out front or going out with them in the backyard

• @tanza:

I have always gone out with my pups, even now at almost 2yrs old, I still go out with them in the morning and evening before bed to make sure they go. And I mix it up between walking them on leash out front or going out with them in the backyard

+1. Also, like eeeefarm, I use "pee" and "poop" as chant words to get them to go - works perfectly. I usually won't leave them out until I've seen them go. As puppies, I would never expect them to go unless I was out there with them. Even as adults, it is the only sure fire way I know they've done their business. And even as adults I still reward and praise when they go outside.

• @renaultf1:

+1. Also, like eeeefarm, I use "pee" and "poop" as chant words to get them to go - works perfectly. I usually won't leave them out until I've seen them go. As puppies, I would never expect them to go unless I was out there with them. Even as adults, it is the only sure fire way I know they've done their business. And even as adults I still reward and praise when they go outside.

Exactly…. a treat is always in hand as a potty reward...... along with praise. It particularly helps in the winter when the weather is not so nice.

• @tanza:

Exactly…. a treat is always in hand as a potty reward...... along with praise. It particularly helps in the winter when the weather is not so nice.

In winter around here, getting to come back inside in the warmth is a reward in itself! I find he takes much less time to "decide" when it is stinking cold out, but takes his time when it's milder. The exception is extreme cold. Once he is holding up all the feet he can, doing what he is out there for completely slips his mind. 😉 Summer is less of a problem, because when we walk around the property he usually gets his business done…...exercise is a good trigger. I don't know why Basenjis are so fussy about their "bathroom habits", but they all seem to be difficult at one time or another, particularly if the weather is not to their liking. (you'd think they would be smart enough to figure out they spend less time in the rain if they "go" at once, but no......that would be too easy!)

• Oakley will pee in the middle of the road or anywhere really but pooping is a whole different story…walking is the only way and he seems to do it in the same spots on our walks.. If the wind so much as sways it will deter him... In the cold he just flat out refuses to go! It is a basenji thing

Suggested Topics