Canada's largest puppy mill bust

• First Basenji's

A large commercial breeder in Quebec was raided over the weekend, and over 500 dogs were confiscated.
    The breeder is Paws R Us, which previously proudly called itself the largest commercial breeder in Canada. They successfully sued a pet owner/former customer for defamation in 2009 when she went online to several sites calling them a "puppy mill."

They stock over 40 breeds, and over 500 dogs were confiscated. But they're "not a puppy mill." Okay, this is when I don't understand the law…

I know they had Shibas, but I don't know if they have Basenjis. Probably? Anyway, this seems like a case to keep your eyes on, especially those on the East Coast. It remains to be seen how the court will handle the confiscated the dogs. Paws R Us is appealing, and the dogs may be returned. Or they be flooding rescue. I'm watching this one.

http://iwantapounddog.blogspot.com/2011/09/paws-r-us-raided-all-dogs-seized.html

• @curlytails:

A large commercial breeder in Quebec was raided over the weekend, and over 500 dogs were confiscated.
    The breeder is Paws R Us, which previously proudly called itself the largest commercial breeder in Canada.

There will always be a problem out there when the mentality is "bigger/volume is better". Just this weekend we met a young guy who proudly said that his dog was one of 12 in the litter, and that there were lots of other dogs 'there' (at the BYB) and because of that he got his 'purebred' black lab for only $75. I cringed and could almost visualize the horrible situation the dogs were in. We need to keep getting across to people that BYBs who do not care about anything other than $$ need to be put out of business.

Suggested Topics