• Hello,

I'm new here. And a new Basenji owner. Well almost, I get my girl on my birthday, Oct. 5th.

But in preparation for her arrival I am trying to find a good, positive reinforcement, trainer in either Brooklyn or Manhattan.
    I looked at Andrea Arden, who had rave reviews, but she's $350 for a 5 week class. Whereas the Petsmart has a $120 class.

Since this is my first dog I'm not quite sure what's reasonable.
    I'm torn, is this a get what you pay for kind of thing?
    If any of you know any good trainers in NYC that don't break the bank that would be a great help! 🙂

• Welcome, who are you getting your Basenji from? Many of us are related by our Basenjis.

And when talking to or deciding on a trainer, ask them if they have worked with Basenjis? Do they like the breed. Ask them if they base their training on positive reinforcement. And most of all, go an visit some of the classes and see how they interact with the other dogs and people. Most of all you want someone that likes the breed, many do not and will not do well with a Basenji in their classes.

• Here are some positive reinforcement trainers in Brooklyn from the Truly Dog Friendly site,

http://www.brooklyndogtrainingcenter.com/
    http://www.pumpkinpups.com/

The full listings including some that don't have websites can be found at
    http://www.trulydogfriendly.com/blog/?page_id=4

• @tanza I'm getting my Basenji from Lisa Simmons, in Hagaman NY. (Northeast Exotic Breeders)

@ivoss those links are a great help. Thanks!

• @tanza:

And when talking to or deciding on a trainer, ask them if they have worked with Basenjis? Do they like the breed. Ask them if they base their training on positive reinforcement. And most of all, go an visit some of the classes and see how they interact with the other dogs and people. Most of all you want someone that likes the breed, many do not and will not do well with a Basenji in their classes.

What she said.
    Definately go sit in on a class and see what your gut tells you.
    I wouldn't say not having worked with a basenji is a deal breaker, but they should have had experience in training some more independent breeds.

• @Raki:

@tanza I'm getting my Basenji from Lisa Simmons, in Hagaman NY. (Northeast Exotic Breeders)

@ivoss those links are a great help. Thanks!

Please share the name of the sire and dam of the puppies.

• @tanza:

Please share the name of the sire and dam of the puppies.

Sure…. Kenya (Dam) & Ebony (Sire)

• Did she give your their registered names so you could verify health testing on the OFA website?

• @Raki:

Sure…. Kenya (Dam) & Ebony (Sire)

Thanks but registered AKC names please?

• We took our B to PetSmart and the basic puppy training they give you is very good - for anything advanced you would have to go to more classes, but they do continue on for a couple more. The important thing is to follow up and be consistent. And the most important part of training is the bond between you and the pup. We have had some difficulties with ours because we are not always consistent, and my DH and I disagree on training. Be sure everyone in your home is on the same page.

• Kenja queen of Hegman & Mibre's Ebb Magic Man To Ahmahr Nahr are the registered names.
    She also gave me copies of their pedigree.

• @Shaye's:

We took our B to PetSmart and the basic puppy training they give you is very good - for anything advanced you would have to go to more classes, but they do continue on for a couple more. The important thing is to follow up and be consistent. And the most important part of training is the bond between you and the pup. We have had some difficulties with ours because we are not always consistent, and my DH and I disagree on training. Be sure everyone in your home is on the same page.

Petsmart training can be hit-or-miss, so like everything else, go watch a class and make sure the class you are signing up with is the trainer you watched. Some trainers are better than others.

Suggested Topics