Skip to content

Getting a new pal for my B's!!

Basenji Talk
  • We have been looking for a nice small outside dog for our acreage and we have finally settled for a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever (over the Finnish Lapphund). I can't wait to get him. He is a 3.5 year old and apparently has a wonderful doggy temperment (which will be wonderful if he can get along with my female B). He is coming from a breeder in B.C. named Tollchester Kennels. I have met a couple of her dogs before and really like them, as I was looking at breeders closer to me I still feel this is a better fit for us. My husband may do the 12 hour drive to pick him up on Saturday. I am really excited to see how he is going to play with my B's!

  • Congratulations on the new addition :)

    Tollers are wonderful little dogs!

  • I know it's not another Basenji, but I did sign up for BRAT and I hope I can help out that way. But we are looking for an outside dog for our acreage.

  • Congrats! I think the Tollers are really nice looking dogs.

  • There's one that comes to our dog park named Rocket and he's very fast and focused on retrieving. I have yet to see him play with the other dogs. He's never mean or anything just not interested in play.

Suggested Topics

  • What's your B's neck measure (trying to size a collar)?

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    16k Views
    TimesthemythT
    You can find a lot of puppy collars at thrift shops for pretty cheap - would never pay full price for one. I'm getting mine at 14 weeks and was told that 8-12 inches was what was being used - then at 4- 6 months graduate to 10-14 inch collar.
  • B's in doggie daycare?

    Basenji Talk
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    17k Views
    O
    I don't keep a collar on Ava unless I'm walking her. Poor Leki's tragic accident is similar to what happened to two Goldens who lived down the street from me. They were in the backyard playing while their owners were away, and the whole block knew immediately that it was awful. This is an old thread, but there's some good info in it. Doggie daycare has been a lifesaver for me. It gives Ava an outlet for her endless energy and is good for socialization. She is a friendly girl who likes everybody– human, canine and feline. I take turns handing her off to everyone there, and so far, she'll go right to them with a hello lick. I want her to know that people are good and she can trust them. Hopefully, it will always be that way!
  • B's and fences..

    Basenji Talk
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    13k Views
    CyrusVirusC
    We have actually been really lucky in this regard. Our backyard is enclosed by a picket fence reinforced with chicken wire around the bottom. It was here when we moved in last year. Cyrus has never tried to dig or climb out of the fence at all. We are actually hoping to replace our fencing with vinyl this year, so it will be even more secure. Cyrus does not have access to the outdoors when we are not home, however. He is too clever for his own good, and we worry about what he would do if left to his own devices!
  • For those of you who like to dress your B's

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    mauigirlM
    The first thing I thought of when looking at those doggie clothes was the scene in the beginning of 101 Dalmations where Pongo is watching the various pairs of dogs and their humans walking along. I was amused by that association. I don't think any of the dogs in that scene had clothes on, but they very well could have - particularly the poodle. If there is such thing as a doggie runway strut she had it down pat.
  • B's and Cold…

    Basenji Talk
    35
    0 Votes
    35 Posts
    22k Views
    JazzysMomJ
    Mine want to sleep on long, rainy days…..like today. Once they have their first potty of the day and realize it's a downpour day, their whole demeanor changes, and it's a slow-moving, sleepy day all day.
  • What do your B's do when they hear this??

    Basenji Talk
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    8k Views
    Capt_Jack_our_BasenjiC
    hehe, awesome! i love basenji's!! lol