Skip to content

The puppies first practice

Basenji Training

Suggested Topics

  • Puppy nipping?

    Basenji Training
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    LOL someone posted this yesterday and I have to share. Your pup? [image: attachment_p_153898_0_pickup.jpg]
  • First Major

    Basenji Training
    21
    0 Votes
    21 Posts
    15k Views
    tanzaT
    @Chealsie508: Thanks Pat and Lisa, I'll look into that. Another question though- there is a novice rally event happening on the 6th in MA near us, would that be something I could take Oakley to?? Thanks for your thoughts Rally events are AKC events… The club premium will usually note that any dogs that are not entered should not be on the show grounds. That said, many of us take puppies and young dogs for socialization. If this event is outdoors, that makes it much easier, since there is usually lots of room. Indoors, not so much because it is a smaller area and during OB or Rally the "crowd" and other dogs should/need to be quiet as to not disturb the dog that is working. If Oakley does well around other dogs/people (being quiet..ggg) then I would say go for it! Maybe not if indoors until you know how he might react.
  • First meeting with trainer

    Basenji Training
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    KipawaK
    I worked on Kipawa's training yesterday at the dog park, where there were many distractions. His recall is excellent there, but that may be because he just needs to feel his mom is close by? Then when he gets to me I make him sit, then he gets a treat. In the house it is a little different. Recall is about 60% right now, but sit is very good - about 80%.
  • Puppy training by breeder

    Basenji Training
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    C
    Thanks for the ideas! I had forgotten the collar training totally - as well as walking in leash nicely. Fortunately I have some training collars at home, before my order of measure made sighthound leather collars will arrive (at age of 8 weeks). We have now -20 Celsius and 1 meter snow in South-Finland, so it is impossible to start potty training in the garden ;) More ideas are welcome!
  • First Time…

    Basenji Training
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    S
    I love to see the b's running and smiling. This is a great photo…thanks for sharing.
  • New Puppy

    Basenji Training
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    jys1011J
    Awww shucks….Thank you :o it means a lot coming from you :) :) I absolutely value your opinion and your experience is invaluable for us newbies!