A+ show prospect wanted with parents a+ hips

• Totally correct Nemo…. the vertical pedigree is way more important......

• I would also be very concerned about someone looking to buy a stud dog to use on their bitches because they are unwilling to travel to a stud dog. It is bad for the breed as a whole to have lots of puppies produced with the same or similar pedigree. It is also not good breeding practice to use a stud out of convenience rather than because he is a good match for the bitch. Since it sounds like both the girls in this home are closely related, breeding them both to the same stud doesn't really help move a breeding program forward, it just makes for convenient production of puppies.

• This is all good advice…

• @Nemo:

I commend your desire to have A+ health for your dogs, but I'm not sure if the focus should be so much on whether the stud you use is rated Excellent if you want to get a better chance of good hips in breeding a Fair-rated bitch. From some discussions I've heard around breeding philosophy, the vertical pedigree is also important to consider, not just the horizontal. What are her sibs hip ratings? Using a stud that has a Good hip rating with a decent number of full/half sibs with good/excellent ratings would likely provide better odds for getting good hips than an Excellent rated dog that has full/half sibs with more fair/good ratings. Granted, it is probably harder to get vertical pedigree data but it is definitely important to consider.

Yes I agree and I am looking into this. I did mention I was looking for relatives with good or excellent hips. Yes I do understand this. I hope someone out there might have some recomendations.

• @tanza:

Totally correct Nemo…. the vertical pedigree is way more important......

I agree with you the most relatives who have A+ health the better.

• @lvoss:

I would also be very concerned about someone looking to buy a stud dog to use on their bitches because they are unwilling to travel to a stud dog. It is bad for the breed as a whole to have lots of puppies produced with the same or similar pedigree. It is also not good breeding practice to use a stud out of convenience rather than because he is a good match for the bitch. Since it sounds like both the girls in this home are closely related, breeding them both to the same stud doesn't really help move a breeding program forward, it just makes for convenient production of puppies.

She just has separation anxiety and is afraid to let her girls go. She is not a bad person. This person has a big heart and cares about her dogs. She will find the RIGHT stud and it will be the healthiest best quality we can find and it will match towards improvement and betterment before anything is done. She is NOT planing to produce many puppies. Very very small scale. Over time she might get used to the idea of sending the bitch out. But for now she just has separation issues.

• She could use AI to breed to a stud dog which is not geographically close to her. That way she would have a much larger range of options to choose from and wouldn't have to travel.

• I don't send my bitches… if I can use frozen or fresh that is the way to go, if within reasonable driving, I take them... (that includes up to but not limited to 10 to 12 hours away.

• @Nemo:

She could use AI to breed to a stud dog which is not geographically close to her. That way she would have a much larger range of options to choose from and wouldn't have to travel.

Yes actually I did think about that. It is a great idea. There were a few studs I was personally interested in, though and they were not available for shipped seemen but eventually more will become available. Great option though.

• Sanda,
    Have you asked the breeder/breeders of the dogs you started with for recommendations? A breeder usually knows what would cross well with your animal and should be able to help you make a stud selection.

Suggested Topics