• We don't have a cat (my husband is allergic and the cat we had went to live with my sister) but I had to add a funny comment about the baby gates and them not being pretty.

Our neighbors come by and dog sit for us on occassion and they left us a note one of the first times that commented on how our house resembled doggie Alcatraz with the gates and excerise pens all over the place! Zahra can get over any baby gate in our house and we had to double up at the bottom of the stairs with the doggie pen. Finally we just gave up because she got over that too and we bought another baby gate for the top of the stairs.

I don't know how you guys keep your B's out of the other rooms of your house with cats, I applaude you because Zahra is convinced that the baby gates are just stairs!

• A baby gate does me no good one good push its down in the floor… we installed the smallest pet doors in the bedroom doors and the front door of house so the cats have escapes from Sanie.. she can get her head thru them but her shoulders wont go thru... some times her and the cats sleep together but then she gets in her "B" mode and the cats know to scatter...I sometimes feel so bad for my cats... the lab we had befor Sandie (god rest his loving soul) never chased or tormented them...

• I have 1 gate that screws into the wall (will not fall down), and one that is a solid plank of plywood (also screwed into the wall w/ a hinge). I trained my dog to respect the boundary. sure, he can climb it or jump it in a second, but he doesn't because he's been trained not to. gates in conjunction with training can work well. flimsy gates with no training, I would imagine, are useless.

Sunny, now is a good time to teach Sandie, LEAVE IT.

• You can get gates that won't fall down. Get the ones for kids…they are pretty sturdy...and you can stack two together (one on top of another) to make it a little more basenji proof. It is difficult to find one that the cats can navigate, that the dogs can't though.

• We have wrought iron gates to close off the top of the stairs and the family room (tiled) from the carpeted area of the living room. Because the bars are far enough apart for puppies or smaller determined Basenjis to get through, we attached clear plastic plexi-glass to one side. The wrought iron matches the wrought iron on our stair railing, so it's not too unstylish and we can see what they're doing if we're not in the same room for any length of time. We went with the wrought iron because it's one of the few things we don't think they can chew up!

Terry

• OHhhhhhhhh … wrought iron great idea and can be decortive also... I like the little pet doors for escape routes for the cats ...i think the gates are a hassle... i bout broke my toe one time going over one when my kids were babies...
    I have been working with Sandie on "LEAVE IT"... just she is so adamant sometimes... On our walk i use it alot... she usually listens to me then but in the house it's war sometimes...I AM THE BOSS (i think)

• I am so glad to see I am not the only one dealing with this issue. We got Bella when she was four months old and the chase has been on ever since. She turned one year old on December 27th and I am still dealing with this. Eight months of cat chasing and I think I am going looney here. :eek:

Suggested Topics