Skip to content

The Power of Animals - basenji reference

Basenji Talk
  • I've been reading an ethnography called The Power of Animals by Brian Morris for a paper that I'm writing. The book is about the the relationships between Malawi cultures and the animal world. In the section on hunting, it says that all serious hunters have a hunting dog. He describes the dogs as basenji-like. They aren't aggressive, but are loyal, tenacious, and have great endurance. The physical descriptions he gives are spot on, from size, coat, and colors to curly tail, wrinkled forehead, and barklessness while hunting. He does say that they bark when threatened or disturbed. They consider their dogs to be friends and part of their household.

    I thought this was interesting, especially since I just happened to come across it.

  • Interesting. Griff barks when disturbed, excited, or he's trying to get our attention.

  • Sounds like a fascinating book! I'm going to try to track it down.

  • It's a coincidence that you should mention this Crystal. Yesterday i was writing to a young child who lives in Northern Malawi and was unsure whether to mention our Basenji.
    When corresponding you are asked to be careful about mentioning certain subjects in case you cause offence.
    However when i emailed for advice i have been told it will be ok to mention Malaika.

Suggested Topics

  • basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    ZandeZ
    Last I heard, the Breed Club secretaries had more people waiting or wanting pups than were available . You could get on a list for a Basenji next winter but I very much doubt you will find one still unsold. Go to the website of the BCGB, or the Northern Basenji Society as you are in the North and you will find email addresses of the secretaries. They will put you in touch with breeders who may be planning a litter for puppies to become ready to leave the nest in about a year's time. Its a long wait I know, but you have most probably missed the boat for now. You are welcome to post me privately. Good luck!
  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    -1 Votes
    4 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    Where I am it costs about $2K+ for a dog from a breeder for just about any breed. Goldens may be less because the litters are so large. That may seem like a lot, but, as Debra mentions, dogs cost money to care for. After vet bills and boarding fees and food, it matters little what the dog cost to acquire. Leaving true puppy mills out of the discussion, given the costs of being a responsible breeder -- testing, vet bills, feeding -- and how much work breeding is, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the money. That leads to two problems for people looking for dogs. One is that since breeding isn't really lucrative, there aren't a ton of breeders, which means the supply of pups is low. Second is that most Basenji breeders want to place their pups in the best possible homes -- remember they aren't doing it for the money -- which means they're looking for people who have had Basenjis before. Something of a Catch-22.
  • Basenji Song-Moon Over Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    12k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh Barklessdog, you are a brave person. I must now stand with you in insane-solidarity and admit I bought it too. It is awful but when you get the line "we couldn't say goodbye so we took him home" part, you know you got to help support the woman. lol
  • Is this a Basenji??

    Basenji Talk
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    18k Views
    G
    My Basenji Billy is quite undershot; he's a purebred, his bottom jaw just didn't stop growing when it was supposed to. That's okay, I'm a bit of a sucker for a dog with an underbite anyway.:) He was my first rescue Basenji.
  • Animal Hero is a basenji

    Basenji Talk
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    bellabasenjiB
    I didn't know you could get email reminders, I am going to do that as soon as I get off of the Forums!!!
  • Animal Planet's Breed All About It: Basenji Episode

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    L
    Actually, I think all the Breed All About its are 30 minute shows, so probably 22-24 minutes of content. We have done a search on any new DVR we have gotten and always keep it on there. One of our dogs goes crazy any time we put it on, it is hilarious.