• As promised, here are the pictures from Monday. I was fortunate enough to find a dog park just up the road from my place. It's a nice 2 minute drive and it's the perfect size dog park for Kananga. It was a good group of people there too.

Scoping out the parameter

Someone to chase

You can tell the other pup was loving it… 😃

Always worried about something… :o

These guys were having lots of fun, I think they wrestled for a good 20-30 mins

Tired pup…. 😃

My sister's dogs (the blue merle is her new puppy @ 7 months)

• Great pictures of Kananga having fun.

• They all looked like they were having fun. Dog parks are the greatest thing since white bread to my dogs - they love it when they get to run with all the other dogs, especially one park, where bunches of basenjis get together on Sundays.

• I hear good and bad things about dog parks, guess its up to the folks to know their dogs and not put them in where they can get hurt or hurt others.
    We are getting a new fenced one about 1 mile from my place. As my 2 sometimes act up, I will only use it when its empty…should have enough smells to keep them moving..

• @sharronhurlbut:

I hear good and bad things about dog parks, guess its up to the folks to know their dogs and not put them in where they can get hurt or hurt others.
    We are getting a new fenced one about 1 mile from my place. As my 2 sometimes act up, I will only use it when its empty…should have enough smells to keep them moving..

Yea, I've had a few issues with this other dog park I've visited before. Problem was it was too far away (Kananga hates car rides, sometimes will get car sick) and by the time we get there he will be miserable.

This one is very close and he seemed to calm down right away and enjoy his time there. It's also a smaller park (easier to keep an eye on him) and it seems to not get too busy. I don't think very many people know about this park, or they choose not to pay the permit costs. I went once to check it out, but i'll fork over $50/yr to use this park going forward. It's quite decent (and convenient!).

I had someone tell me that there was a Basenji there just a few days ago, and they usually see them often. I'm hoping to run into some other Basenjis. 😃

• @sharronhurlbut:

I hear good and bad things about dog parks, guess its up to the folks to know their dogs and not put them in where they can get hurt or hurt others.

You just don't know who's going to be in there. There are regulars that have great dogs but there's people that show up with dogs that have not been there when you've been there and so it's unpredictable. The problems I've had is with people throwing their ball for their dog and Buddy goes after it too in fun and the dog gets possessive and attacks. Buddy's not mean at all, very friendly but sometimes a bit too rambunctious for some dogs. Last Saturday I had him on leash at a beach that was off leash. Good thing too as there was a German Shepard that we walked by the Buddy wanted to go to and the dog had his ball. I pulled Buddy away and the dog dropped the ball and growled and started to come after Buddy, the dogs owner ran over fast and yelled loud at him to stop and he turned away. Could of been bad had Buddy been loose. He's just not cautious enough yet. He's calming down as he matures.

• @nobarkus:

You just don't know who's going to be in there. There are regulars that have great dogs but there's people that show up with dogs that have not been there when you've been there and so it's unpredictable. The problems I've had is with people throwing their ball for their dog and Buddy goes after it too in fun and the dog gets possessive and attacks. Buddy's not mean at all, very friendly but sometimes a bit too rambunctious for some dogs. Last Saturday I had him on leash at a beach that was off leash. Good thing too as there was a German Shepard that we walked by the Buddy wanted to go to and the dog had his ball. I pulled Buddy away and the dog dropped the ball and growled and started to come after Buddy, the dogs ran over owner fast and yelled loud at him to stop and he turned away. Could of been bad had Buddy been loose. He's just not cautious enough yet. He's calming down as he matures.

Agreed. That's why I like the smaller dog parks. So I can always keep an eye on Kananga. The larger ones make me nervous considering Kananga will follow people around sometimes and then it takes me awhile to find him.

• @Kananga:

Agreed. That's why I like the smaller dog parks. So I can always keep an eye on Kananga. The larger ones make me nervous considering Kananga will follow people around sometimes and then it takes me awhile to find him.

The trouble with the dogs being possessive over the balls has happened at a small dog park too. It's a good park with grass and the regulars have good dogs but there's that one that show up. Some time ago a guy had his 2 German Shepards in there that he was throwing their ball for and Buddy wandered over and one was a bit aggressive. Anyway not to turn your wonderful photo thread into dog park problems, we really love your pics!

• Great pics of a very happy Kananga!

• Houston

Great pictures. Kananga looks so very happy. Your sisters dog is adorable too.

• Lovely pics, you can see the joy on the Dogs faces.

Suggested Topics