• Houston

I stopped adding/feeding Buddy kibble. Hopefully Otis is getting a least high quality.

I told her a to feed him Blue Buffalo wilderness, it is grainfree and a good quality food easily obtainable at all the big box petstores.

• @Basenjimamma:

I told her a to feed him Blue Buffalo wilderness, it is grainfree and a good quality food easily obtainable at all the big box petstores.

I was looking at Blue Buffalo at Pet Smart yesterday and it looks pretty good.

• @nobarkus:

There's no criticizing or telling anyone not to feed raw bones just an awareness of the potential. A dog can choke on sticks, rocks, socks, food, toys or bones.

I didnt mean that there was ๐Ÿ™‚ But there is the potential of a dog choking on many things like you say, including kibble and bones (though one website i found actually said that there are more cases of dogs choking on kibble than raw bones!!!) which can be increased with a dog that eats very quickly! But if we all got that paranoid about these things we'd end up having nothing to feed our dogs :eek: ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• @Maya:

I didnt mean that there was ๐Ÿ™‚ But there is the potential of a dog choking on many things like you say, including kibble and bones (though one website i found actually said that there are more cases of dogs choking on kibble than raw bones!!!) which can be increased with a dog that eats very quickly! But if we all got that paranoid about these things we'd end up having nothing to feed our dogs :eek: ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Dogs like to just wolf their food down without chewing and kibble, especially if a smaller dog were to swallow a large dog size kibble would certainly choke. Heck I clogged a sink one time with cat kibble. :o

• First Basenji's

At the Animals Taiwan compound where I used to volunteer, feeding time consisted mainly of raw chicken, except for the dogs who had issues. Lots of those street strays arrived skinny and malnourished, and the diet got them back into shape super fast. Many were in pure ecstasy after having to pick through garbage for so long. Raw chicken was cheaper than kibble, and really helped their teeth too. The sound of collective gnashing was always funโ€ฆ ngggargg nggargh ngargh.

• I feed a raw diet including chicken but I never give mine chicken bones from long lived chicken. The chicken mostly sold for consumption still have comparatively soft leg bones. Free range chicken are often sold at a later stage when they have fully matured bones and I would never feed free range or mature chicken for that reason.

So far I've never had salmonella infection in my dogs (that's in over 60 years!).

• I forgot to say how much I enjoyed the pictures - keep them coming!

• @Patty:

I feed a raw diet including chicken but I never give mine chicken bones from long lived chicken. The chicken mostly sold for consumption still have comparatively soft leg bones. Free range chicken are often sold at a later stage when they have fully matured bones and I would never feed free range or mature chicken for that reason.

So far I've never had salmonella infection in my dogs (that's in over 60 years!).

Long lived chicken? I did not know chicken was sold in stages. So they wait longer on the free range than the confined chickens? I'm getting chicken educated here.

• @nobarkus:

Long lived chicken? I did not know chicken was sold in stages. So they wait longer on the free range than the confined chickens? I'm getting chicken educated here.

It's amazing what you can learn. I'm glad you posted the pics Jess, it's sparked some interesting discussion.
    I had a bit of a google and discovered a tip that may be useful for Dogs that eat the chicken a bit too quickly, especialy puppies. The article suggested holding the meat whilst the dog chews. This would also be useful for retaining ownership of the meal (not that i would fancy chewing on a raw chicken wing :D)

• The chicken looks delicious!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Great pics of happy pups ๐Ÿ™‚

Suggested Topics