• I'm looking for a basic dog training program in East Bay area. I have a 4 month old Basenji pup. The program must use NON-punitive methods. Any suggestions?

• I am not in your area, but ... you should know that dog training is about teaching you how to interact with your dog, as opposed to teaching your dog how to do things. Most area Kennel Clubs offer training where you are your dogs partner in the class. The things you will learn will last your lifetime.

I applaud the non-punitive approach. A lot of people fly off the handle when their dog chews on the wrong thing, or doesn't quite have potty training down. One of the best things you can do is give them love when they do it right and don't react when they don't. Recognize that he's just a pup. You can trade an acceptable chew toy for your shoes, and you can avoid the problem by closing the closet door so your pup can't get to your shoes. Accidents will happen and learning to potty doesn't happen overnight. Just provide a lot of verbal love when the pup gets it right and don't react when he doesn't. Love and praise are the best tools in your training bag.

Congrats on your pup. Can't wait to hear about all of your adventures!

Suggested Topics