B pup in shelter - Regina, Saskatchewan, CANADA

• I am allergic and I do react to Blaze, especially when he sheds. I control it with a knock-off of the defurminator (I got it at a trade show for $20). It grabs a lot of the fuzz, and I usually do it every second day during shedding, and once a month the rest of the year. His tail tip sheds the most…
    Definately crate train. I didn't, we thought we'd spoil him and let him have the hot tub room (fully ventilated with a hard top covering the tub). $17,000 worth of venetian blinds and one dead fly later... we got a crate.
    ps. they are very prey driven...
    Basenjis are not bad, just very smart and willing to show you the error of your ways. They are also extreme cuddlers, and you feel incredibly special when they choose you for warmth and love.
    Enjoy him, he'll make you laugh and show you what true unconditional love is.

• @BEK:

I'm totally aware that many breeds of puppies will chew and will get into some trouble, but usually with training they grow out of it and wouldn't even think of chewing on anything other than their toys, at least that's my experience with the dogs I've known.

I just want to say this is a fallacy. I volunteer at my local shelter and have worked with many dogs of many breeds and mixes and a huge range of ages and it all depends on the dog and the training. Some with very little effort are great, trustworthy and non-destructive. Others require lots of training and management but can also become great dogs. Breed may contribute to certain behaviors but so does temperament and personality.

• After much thought and some tears, we have made the very difficult decision to back out of the adoption of Benn. Though we love the little guy, after all the research I’ve put in I just don’t think we can give him the time and attention he will need and deserve.

I really want him to go to a good family who will have the time to spend with him and exercise him. So if anyone on here is interested or know of someone, please spread the word. He’s a super cute and friendly brindle/white guy, birth date is February 1, 2010, he was previously in a pet store which closed down and was then surrendered to the humane society in Regina, Sask. He’s a purebred but we weren’t given any papers. The HS says he’s healthy, no fanconi testing has been done. He’s very lonely at the HS in a kennel all my himself, they wouldn’t even let us take him outside to play, so he’s pretty much cooped up in a kennel indoors most of the time - he gets very excited and happy every time we visit him to play. So he needs a loving family to take him asap so he can get out of there.

The HS will not under any circumstances let him leave until he’s been neutered, he has an appointment for June 8 (not sure if they’ll keep that, or wait and re-book once someone else adopts him). So if you are a breeder wanting him to breed, then don’t bother calling. I don’t think he’ll last long at the HS, but I really want him to go to a good home who understands the needs of this type of dog. Purebred puppies are rare at the HS, and unfortunately it’s likely that someone will just see a cute puppy and adopt him based on his “cuteness” without researching the breed, and the HS wasn’t all that helpful in educating us. The HS doesn’t allow you to put a puppy on "hold" over the phone, so anyone interested would have to be nearby, so if you know of anyone have them visit the Regina Human Society website, Benn should probably be re-posted there soon.

Thanks everyone for the information and advice. This was a very difficult decision. If we had a fenced in yard and didn’t both work full-time and go to school part-time, we would have took him in a heartbeat. Unfortunately we made a too-quick decision with our hearts when we adopted him, but I think we are making the right decision, as it would be much harder to take Benn home and then realize that we couldn’t handle it.

• BEK, I'm glad you took the time to let us know, so that if there's someone on here who can give Benn a home, they can do it quickly. I know this must have been a hard decision for you and your family, but you are doing what's best for your family, and that's important. 🙂

• First Basenji's

BEK, kudos to you for doing your research and making the decision to back out, as difficult as that can be. There's no shame in admitting a mismatch rather than forcing yourself to plunge into something you'll regret later. I hope whomever snatches up this cute little guy is as conscientious.

• @BEK:

After much thought and some tears, we have made the very difficult decision to back out of the adoption of Benn. Though we love the little guy, after all the research I?ve put in I just don?t think we can give him the time and attention he will need and deserve.

Will you please e-mail me at: giza1@wildroseinternet.ca
    -Joanne

• It does sound like you have a lot on your plate right now. Much like a marriage, it really is easier to call the whole thing off before rather than after. I'm sure you'll have a puppy that fits into your life sometime in the future. All the best to you.

• Does anyone know which shelter this pup is in? Our Rescue Coordinator can find no info on this pup at the moment.

• From BEK last post, humane society in Regina, Sask

The original listing has been removed so he may have been adopted.

• That's what we had been trying to figure out, thanks Lisa!

Suggested Topics