I found this info. I defer to the breeding experts to confirm the combinations. My understanding is that once you have anything but a clear x clear, you have some or total risk of Fanconi.
Parents and Offspring Fanconi Results
1. Clear x Clear = 100% Clear puppies
2. Clear x Carrier = 50% Clear, 50% Carrier (average)
3. Clear x Affected = 100% Carrier
4. Carrier x Carrier = 25% Clear, 50% Carrier,
25% Affected (average)
5. Carrier x Affected = 50% Carrier, 50% Affected
6. Affected x Affected = 100% Affected
So, when I look to get a companion basenji puppy in the future, should I concentrate on looking for a clear x clear combination if I truly want to ensure a basenji with no chance of Fanconi? Or should I look deeper into the lineage of the puppies (parents, grandparents, grand-grandparents, etc.) to see if Clear x Carrier and Clear x Affected had a low percentage of Fanconi.
I would definitely want all the information prior to looking at a puppy, and would definitely want the breeder I select to be up-front about Fanconi testing in their dogs, but where can you ease up (if at all) in Fanconi results. Thanks so much for your help on this.