• First Basenji's

Sharron, I would appreciate more info. Thanks!

• I will be happy to send them to you next week. We are on vacation, and I don't have those files in this laptop.

• Curly Tails - yes sorry Akita Inus, I imagine - they are exactly like the Shibas but much bigger. They only come in Shiba colour and the ones I know seem to have much the same temperament as the Shibas, although we do have Japanese Akitas - they have a different head and come in a variety of colours including black/white. I don't have much to do with Akitas but I understand from some breeders that they can be aggressive , especially the bitches.

Your basenji sounds like some I know here who are crated for the majority of the time. They are wary of the great outdoors and can't wait to get back in their crates. These seem to have lost the initiative of other Basenjis and are certainly stunted in their intelligence but do recover, albeit slowly when they experience a normal life.

• First Basenji's

Sharron, on vacation and still checking the forum? That's dedication!

No rush. We'll all be here next week too. 🙂

Things are better today. She willingly spent more than 10 minutes hanging out in the backyard with the whole pack. She also came into my study den a few times of her own volition.

Sorry, I'll stop giving blow-by-blow updates soon enough. This is probably much less interesting to you all than it is to my partner and me, heh.
    attachment_p_107040_0_img_5423.jpg

• Oh, I am hooked on b's and rescue and helping when I can. Also, the weather down here is "iffy" and when its cold/raining, the b's only want to be under the bed covers.

Re this girl. It sounds like she is trying to find her way in this house. So, let the dog you have show here the nice things, you as a human, be consistant, re feeding, potty items, and such. and leave her be.
    She wants to see if she can trust you. YOUR family dog, the way they react to you, will give her a lot of info as to if your ok.
    Just be kind, cool, and gentle.
    Don't ask anything of her. I try to tell folks to be like you were in high school and liked someone, you just were around them, but ignored them..until they couldn't "stand" it and came over to chat. laugh.
    Let me know how it goes. I think your on the right tract.

• Please don't stop giving us blow-by-blow updates. - I hope I speak for others as well as myself when I say we do worry about Basenjis with problems or illnesses whether they're our own or not. Nothing's worse than not hearing how things are going.

It sounds from your post that she is improving - well done for your patience.

I totally agree about Sharron's dedication.

• Thank you all, I am basenji obsessed! It took me years to find this wonderful breed, now I want to do all I can to help folks and help dogs.
    I don't want to be a collector but I think these dogs are so wonderful, I can see how this could happen.
    I did have a very shy rescue many years ago. She spent months under the dining room table, *which had a long table cloth on it, and the table was against the wall. * She used it as a crate she could hide in.
    All you can do is talk to the dog, go about your day, and let the dog find their place in the house. With you having happy dogs, you will get a lot of the new dog watching them, to see if you are ok, and if the house is ok.
    This poor b has been bounced around, who knows what took place.
    So, you just start from the beginning and let her find her place.
    Once she starts to act like a basenji, you will know your on the right tract.
    its raining so hard the drops are hitting the windows like hale so we are all in for the night! on the Oregon coast

• First Basenji's

The unity and organization of BRAT volunteers has impressed me greatly. FWIW, I have thoroughly read everything on the BRAT site and was/continue to be on the mailing list for new rescues (though two dogs in a household is enough for us!). We'd been on a couple of rescue mailing lists, but we had a number of criteria that most available dogs just didn't match (and vice versa). This gal was a Craigslist surrender, she basically fit everything we were looking for from temperament to size to age to location, so we went this route. I am concerned about her overall health, Fanconi only being one issue, but I'll wait until we have professional assessments.

Meanwhile, we are falling for her day by day, even if our Shiba isn't completely won over yet. Feeding times continue to be a minor issue which we're working on. She only tried to follow one couple out of the enclosed dog park today, and was checking in more regularly with us.

• What ever way you get your b…from BRAT, Craigs list, or shelter, I am delighted that you have saved a basenji from a non basenji smart home.
    Let us know if there is anything I can do to assist you.
    It would be my pleasure.

• First Basenji's

Quick update –

She slept "uncurled" yesterday! We've found that she snores quite a bit too.

She's been doing great at the dog park and on her walks. She's doing really well with her humans, and she's slowly figuring things out with Bowdu.

I think we even have a name for her now. I want to use it a few more days before I'm sure of it. But I guess it's semi-official since we gave the vet her new name when we went in for a checkup last Friday. The vet gave her a clean bill of health, but said her teeth need to be done (not happy about the cost, but I agree! -- next payday).

Fanconi DNA test kit arrived yesterday. Gonna swab that up and get it out tomorrow.
    attachment_p_107652_0_img_5493.jpg

Suggested Topics