• But what we are talking about (I think) and the road it can go down, is a dog that screams hysterically for HOURS…is too upset to chew, or eat, or anything else in a crate. That is where my boy was, and it sounds like Lisa's boy Nicky was there as well. By forcing *that dog to work it out on his own, it simply "sensitizes" him to a crate, instead of "desensitizing" which is what you want.

I agree. Caesar (as a pup) would do the hysterical crying if he was in the bedroom where he could see me and in the crate. It just wasnt fair. Then, the crate probably felt like punishment for him.

When the crate was in another room, it became his den. He received treats and didnt cry as much, but it did take some time for him to adjust where the routine is important. When his crate was in the other room it was easier for him to accept that he would get treats and be praised by going into the kennel. Then it became his place (not the place apart from mom).

I suppose maybe it will help you to know that the basenji crying is normal as a pup. We all have experienced it in some form. You are doing great and when the crying is too much, then address it.

• Update…...
    Last night I wore the little guy out. He would get to the point that even while putting in odd positions he would just try to close those eyes. Nope...I would clap my hands, make odd sounds, put the cat next to him, anything! It eventually made me tired just trying to keep him awake. I walked him into the bedroom with a treat and set him in. He fussed for about 2 minutes and fell right asleep. 3 hrs later he wanted to go outside and potty. I carried him out had him potty and carried him back and put him back to bed. This is where things usually go wrong. He fussed for about 3 min. I kept those earplugs close but he went right back to sleep. I found that if I make a sound like move my leg or cough he will quiet right down. Another 3 hrs later he woke up again and I followed the same routine and back in the crate. This time he got a little more fussy because the sun was rising.
    Last night was the first good nights sleep I have had in 6 days. Bliss!
    I don't want to jinx myself but cold it be he may be getting better? Ahhh I almost forgot. He's a Basenji. He's going to test me 😉
    Well thanks again so much for all the support. I don't know how I would make it through this w/out your kind encouragement!

• that is great!! a different type of tired.

I have a basenji puppy coming next Friday and will be going through the same thing for sure. LOL. Then I will be getting tips from you!:o

• that is great to hear. He sounds just like one of my children fighting bed time. give it a week and he'll test you just dont give in 🙂 I just got our B going poop in his box using tricks I use with my human kids LOL.

• @Shyla:

that is great to hear. He sounds just like one of my children fighting bed time. give it a week and he'll test you just dont give in 🙂 I just got our B going poop in his box using tricks I use with my human kids LOL.

Thats Great! How are the kids and Guru doing together?
    BTW..thanks for the 411 on the collars at petsmart. It fits Chance purfect! He constantly scratches his neck though. I think it is because his "special spot" is right there. If you just touch it his foot goes crazy 😃
    We are going to be signing up for puppy school soon..you should too! Having another B in the class would be great!!! Double Trouble :rolleyes:

• @Vanessa626:

Thats Great! How are the kids and Guru doing together?
    BTW..thanks for the 411 on the collars at petsmart. It fits Chance purfect! He constantly scratches his neck though. I think it is because his "special spot" is right there. If you just touch it his foot goes crazy 😃
    We are going to be signing up for puppy school soon..you should too! Having another B in the class would be great!!! Double Trouble :rolleyes:

We plan on signing up for classes with Guru soon Im just not sure when let me know when you are and Ill seer if I can get in the same class 😃 That would be fun 🙂

The kids are doing great with Guru he seems to really love them. My oldest is teaching him fetch lol it is so fun to watch. My 3 year old thinks Guru is his playmate. Gurus safe place has become under my desk or at my feet. So I often have wet toes (he loves toes) hes trying to get them right now but I'm trying to hide them.

Oh and we are trying to train him to stay away from the diapers his newest curiousity (we cloth diaper) He loves to get the baby during diaper changes (Its almost like he is trying to give the baby a bath) Sammy just laughs and laughs. I moved my dipes so Guru cant get them anymore except when I leave one out (than I bonk myself in the head, lucky for me he hasnt ruined one yet.)

• When I met you and the kids they looked like they really enjoyed him. :o
    We plan on signing up with Aila. We used her last year and she was great! I'll get her schedule soon and forward it to you. It will be evening classes most likely but we'll figure it out.
    How bout those binki's. Any better?
    Chance loves feet too! I will be sitting down and he will just nustle right up against me and fall asleep. Its quite funny at times. He will just lick my pants over and over. Who knew they tasted so good :rolleyes:

I am going to invest in a pee post. I don't know if it will work but heck…better than nothing. Right now Chance really likes going potty by our front door :eek: No matter how hard I try to get him to go further away from the house he just pulls and pulls right back to the same spot. Maybee this will help keep him in an area.

• @Vanessa626:

When I met you and the kids they looked like they really enjoyed him. :o
    We plan on signing up with Aila. We used her last year and she was great! I'll get her schedule soon and forward it to you. It will be evening classes most likely but we'll figure it out.
    How bout those binki's. Any better?
    Chance loves feet too! I will be sitting down and he will just nustle right up against me and fall asleep. Its quite funny at times. He will just lick my pants over and over. Who knew they tasted so good :rolleyes:

I am going to invest in a pee post. I don't know if it will work but heck…better than nothing. Right now Chance really likes going potty by our front door :eek: No matter how hard I try to get him to go further away from the house he just pulls and pulls right back to the same spot. Maybee this will help keep him in an area.

Well are binks are all gone the last one ds threw out of his car seat today when we went out to lunch so not a worry anymore lol. Pee post I've never heard of that.

I was thinknig an evening class as well I dont want to take the kiddos with me, Im not that crazy 😃 . So yeah send it to me 🙂

• When I first got Lenny as a puppy and he wasn't taking to sleeping in the crate, and let me know by screaming…. I moved the crate next to my bed and slept with my hand through the crate openings so he could cuddle up next to it and not feel alone. I think I learned to pet him in my sleep. ha ha.

• Hey what is this pee post? I'm thinking Beeji and I need one of those!

• basenji puppies worry me, its GOT to be alot of work…

• basenji puppies worry me, its GOT to be alot of work…

• @Mantis:

caesar has been an indoor dog, crated while i am at work, and crated at night. he did acclimate but it took patience.

What I tell my puppy owners is that if the puppy will be crated during the day, then it SHOULD sleep with them at night. What is the sense of having a companion that is in a crate during the day, and in the crate at night?
    I know many potential puppy owners tell us (I think they are afraid that we wouldn't want them to have a puppy in bed) that the puppy will be crated.
    A few years back my reply was Ellen, it is okay, you don't have to lie to me.. we both know that Maya is going to sleep in bed with you! LOL 😃 Maya won, of course!

@Mantis:

if you let him sleep in your bed and become part of your pack, the crate is far more difficult.

I completely disagree with this statement. Most breeders have their bed dogs and some that sleep in crates. I have 4 intact males that sleep with me.. two 1y.o. intact males that share a crate, and the 11-week puppies that sleep in a crate.
    All of my dogs are VERY well crate-trained. I have never had issues with any of the basenjis… the Whippet, on the other hand is the one that voices his opinion about being in a crate when he is in one.

@Mantis:

I also found covering the crate was better. one, because basenjis are extremely temp sensitive and will never complain about being warm. and two, because it is more like a den and will make them feel safer.

Yeah.. MAYBE… just make sure that you don't have anything within 10 feet of this crate.. or they will suck it in like an anteater. Sure, you may think that the coat that is hanging 2 feet away is safe... you won't think that way when you find it as bedding in the crate... most of us don't appreciate a $200 Columbia Sportswear jacket as crate bedding.

@Mantis:

let us know how it goes and stick with it. once your b is trained to understand the crate isnt punishment, you can move to a larger crate.

Mine stay in the same size crate.. they never have issues with their crates..and one size should be fine. I use a little kitty cuddle bed in them when they are little.. I found some nice ones for $10 at target.. and got three of them so I could be alternating them in there and they always had a clean cuddle bed in their crate.

GOOD LUCK! 🙂

• What I tell my puppy owners is that if the puppy will be crated during the day, then it SHOULD sleep with them at night. What is the sense of having a companion that is in a crate during the day, and in the crate at night?

I had Caesar crated during the day while I was at work and at night because I had Beta who was the same age, but completely an out of control basenji due to her rescue background. They were crated together. Neither ever complained.

Caesar complained as a puppy.

Each situation is different and unique I suppose.

Suggested Topics