• Is it ok to have one basenji crated while the other is left free when I am out of the house?

• @sonnyboy:

Is it ok to have one basenji crated while the other is left free when I am out of the house?

You know what's going to happen right? Sonny Boy lets the new girl out after you leave, they have a blast all day, then back in right before you get home.:D

• yes. I've got one loose, one in an xpen, one in a crate and one malinois in a crate when I leave. Nobody seems to feel they are treated "unfairly". I've found as long as everyone gets a cookie (or 2 or 3) everyone is happy.

• @nobarkus:

You know what's going to happen right? Sonny Boy lets the new girl out after you leave, they have a blast all day, then back in right before you get home.:D

LOL 😃 I hope that happens!! I keep getting so nervous how sonny is going to react to this..

• I have never crated one or both. When I leave flat I always left them free and I have never had problem with that. They are always calm and can play together :).

• @agilebasenji:

yes. I've got one loose, one in an xpen, one in a crate and one malinois in a crate when I leave. Nobody seems to feel they are treated "unfairly". I've found as long as everyone gets a cookie (or 2 or 3) everyone is happy.

Should I keep her crate in the same room Sonny spends his time (he can roam anywhere but rarely leaves his spot in the kitchen window)….. or should she have her own space away from Sonny?

• You joke about one basenji letting the other out - Liyah opens both Ruby's and Brando's crates to let them out. The first time Liyah did that trick was when she was 13wks. Last night, Ruby had left a toy in her locked crate, and Liyah let herself into Ruby's crate to get the toy - she's a pistol that one!

Regarding whether to crate in the same room - I crate my 3 in the same room. I always think they like the company - although Brando will get them all going in a howling chorus.

• mine are all in the same room - it's the den and has a large sliding glass door so everyone can see out. Digital, the brindlewonderkid, is left to go where ever he likes. Usually he's in the den or bedroom.

Suggested Topics