Skip to content

Training basenjis

Basenji Training

Suggested Topics

  • Crate Training 8 week old Basenji

    Basenji Training
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • Train basenji pup not to go on couch?

    Basenji Training
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    13k Views
    S
    Where do you put the vicks?
  • Basenji training to help cops

    Basenji Training
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    Shaye's MomS
    Great they are finally being recognized. I watched a show a few months back where they were training Basenjis at airports to sniff out drugs and other contraband in baggage compartments. The B's do well because they are small, can step over all the piles of baggage and of course, have such great noses it comes easy to them to be trained for this work!
  • New Basenji and Potty Training

    Basenji Training
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    10k Views
    S
    Yes, my girl was well socialized. It's not that my voice is so startling to her. It's more that she doesn't like to be scolded and will find a way in the not too distant future to repay me with her opinion. Since I learned a while ago to not do this, I haven't suffered her wrath in some time but when I did it could be anything from finding she had peed or pooped just out of my sight to finding something I value that had just been totally shredded. I found that I could scold her reasonably for what she had done but then I needed to immediately reinforce my love for her so that she knew she didn't need to rebel against me. This has worked well for me. Shouting at her would always reap me a grim reward in the end.
  • Our Thoughts on Training and Raising a Basenji

    Basenji Training
    40
    0 Votes
    40 Posts
    24k Views
    DukeD
    @DiegosMom: I think Tanza was just agreeing with a post I made about being careful leaving dogs in cars.. no one was attacking you or saying you were not careful or were wrong for doing it.. we were just saying, in general, there are risks involved with leaving a dog in the car unatteneded.. That was my exact interpretation. Adding caution to the wind…never hurt anyone. :) This is not an exclusive conversation - many people from all over the world at any given moment are viewing the forum - if they didn't take the time to read this thread beginning to end - blah - blah - iterating words of wisdom in the middle of any thread could save a life. btw - I find advice about training is situational - every dog and every trainer has different styles. Hopefully when we get stumped with a training issue, this forum and members have different tried and true methods, various options are out there. Thank you Jason for your time in sharing your thoughts and training methods that are working well for you. It's always good to have diversity and commonality. ps - I don't want anyone else to feel left out with my appreciation - so a big thank you to others who've shared their important thoughts and training ideas here and elsewhere on this forum. You are all so very helpful.
  • Clicker training

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    lvossL
    Edward, Positive reinforcement methods like clicker training work wonderfully with basenjis. All four of my basenjis are clicker trained. I guess you could even consider Sophie to have started before birth since I was clicker training her mom while she was pregnant with the litter. The purpose of the clicker is to mark the behavior that you want so you could also just use a word like "yes" or "Yay" or "good dog" followed by a treat. I use clicker training to train a variety of behaviors such as sit, down, attention, name response, stay, stand, go to mat, front, point, hand targeting, and the list goes on. I also use it in agility training.