• Hello everyone, my name is Maya, I do not currently own a Basenji but have been doing a lot of research between them and Italian Greyhounds. After much thought I decided that the IGs were not quite the smaller size breed I am looking for. I currently live in Germany with my husband, we are in the military and stationed just south of Frankfurt.

I am currently owned by a white boxer named Reggie, who is nothing more than a couch potato with the occasional spurts of energy when he feels like it, lol. And a European Short Hair cat named Pigmy, she thinks shes a dog.

I am a active person and take Reggie everywhere with me, he does enjoy outings even if its a quick walk to the Doner stand around the corner. I've been looking to get Reggie a companion but right now didn't want another 70lbs lap dog, lol. And I felt the IG would be a little to fragile for us, even though Reggie is very gentle and him and the cat quite frequently actually wrestle and play.

I am very set in that a dog and their owner should attend obedience classes, Reggie and I went through several classes and he has his CGC. And when I get a new pup I will be doing the same. As far as feeding I feed both my critters Solid Gold. I tried feeding raw but Reggie didn't take to it very well so we went back to the Solid Gold, and trying to find things to make it a balance was difficult. I don't feed my guys anything with corn or wheat, and since taking them off treats even with that I've noticed that when they do get an occasional thing with it, they tend to not even want it.

Both of my fur kids are very spoiled and have full range of the house, bed, couch. I don't have children, don't plan on it, but I've exposed both Reggie and Pigmy to children so that they are not afraid or nervous of them.

Okay now that I wrote a book, I think I'm going to stop now, lol, and learn more about the Basenji from the people who own them other than the bunch of books I have.

• Greeting from Poland 🙂 Frankfurt - this near to Poland:D

• Hi! 🙂 and welcome!

• Hello from across the ocean! We live in Portland, which is no where near Poland but quite often, people pronounce the two places exactly the same 🙂 Our family of four has only one dog, a three year old named Rou & she has as much energy as the moment dictates. Right now, she is leaning up against me in the sun, fast asleep. Ten minutes earlier, she was wrestling with us on the floor. It all depends on the mood.
    Dog training classes are an excellent idea, and basenjis can be trained but it takes a great deal of devotion, positive reinforcement and for those basenjis that are food-oriented (isn't that the only kind?), treats can be especially effective.
    Best of luck with your basenji search!
    -pamela

• Hi WBL - Welcome! Lots of fun here learning all about Basenjis. Enjoy

• Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes.

@rou:

Hello from across the ocean! We live in Portland, which is no where near Poland but quite often, people pronounce the two places exactly the same 🙂
    Dog training classes are an excellent idea, and basenjis can be trained but it takes a great deal of devotion, positive reinforcement and for those basenjis that are food-oriented (isn't that the only kind?), treats can be especially effective.
    Best of luck with your basenji search!
    -pamela

**I grew up in Klamath Falls. So I completly know about people mispronouncing Oregon cities, or my fave "Or-a-gone"

I know all about the devotion, positive reinforcement and food driven, my boxer was the same way. I had another boxer at one timet the if you even slightly raised your voice to she'd think the world was over, lol. And the food drive, Reggie taught me all about that, in the begining I couldn't get him to do anything WITHOUT a bribe, I was able to wean him off it, but I had to work it with one command at a time, sometimes he's more stubborn than a mule.**

• Welcome, I hope the forum helps you to decide if you'd like a Basenji or not…....plenty of knowledgeable people and good information.

Enjoy, plenty of Basenji pictures to look at!:D

Suggested Topics