Skip to content

Is your basenji smarter than your baby gate?

Basenji Training
  • O.k so maybe instead of my crate wooes (we're probably more against it then my B) how bout if I put up one of these gates and keep him confined to a particular area when he is bad boy or even when we leave so if he poops it will be in an area we'll consider the doggie area. As you can tell I'm trying to exhaust all options before going for the crate.

  • Really, I don't think either option is good for punishment or somewhere for him to go when he is a bad boy. I know some people do use a time out, but I'm not sure exactly how they do that. I crate my dogs when we cannot be there to supervise them, I don't use the crate as a correctional device. From your other posts, it sounds like your B isn't being bad, he is having seperation anxiety. I would approach the whole thing from that angle and try to resolve the seperation anxiety.
    While you are working it out, I think a gate to keep him confined to a more easily cleaned area while you are away from home is a great idea since a crate is something you are not comfortable with.

  • you may want to post this topic in the behavioral area to see what responses you will get over there….i am sure other people will have a lot of feedback for you! :)

Suggested Topics

  • Help with my Basenji

    Basenji Training
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • Walking Basenji

    Basenji Training
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    10k Views
    mustBcrazyM
    i walk the lab and isis at the same time one on hand and one on the other, the lab seem to have a major drive to sniff out anything and track blindly and of course isis will be doing the same, the b is easier to control cause she lighter but the m1 tank of the lab well.. we've came across little furry friends on our nitely walks i need to stay very focus on my surroundings, one thing the b does if theres someone walking behind us doesnt matter how far , she walk ahead stop and turn to look back, she'll keep doing this repeatedly like she warning me these something there,im sure its instinct on her end to,of course i confirm whats shes doing but yeah those b's dont miss a trick
  • Training basenjis

    Basenji Training
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    NemoN
    Arlo does "downs" like Zoni (Aries' niece :)) does….with extreme enthusiasm by slamming her paws to the ground. Love it.
  • New to Basenjis

    Basenji Training
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    BasenjimammaB
    Welcome to all of you. So exciting with a new pup.. Look through the puppy threads and also the training threads..lots of info to read.. Where in TX are you, I am in Houston, if you are close, it would be fun to meet up..
  • Basenjis on CNN

    Basenji Training
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    K
    Thanks Jeff, go Kaden! Keep it up, and looking forward to his future accomplishments. :)
  • Basenji Hiking?

    Basenji Training
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    17k Views
    nobarkusN
    I've hiked off leash at numerous areas here in the SF Bay area. They love it! Any there was only 1 area that was a problem with ticks. To me after 30 years hiking with them it's the best way to establish a great relationship with them. There's no two ways about it, Basenjis love hiking adventures.