Skip to content

From service dog to SURFace dog

Off Topic

Suggested Topics

  • Designer Dogs

    Off Topic
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    12k Views
    Baba BamideleB
    Yes, I'm glad to hear differing opinions! We're keeping our options open but leaning toward a purebred waterdog of some sort. I'm sure I'll be back later with questions about how to integrate a new puppy in to a home life ruled by a cat (and with an African basenji in the mix)... :)
  • Abuse of status/service dogs

    Off Topic
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    BARTB
    I do agree that there are not always "obvious" disabilities for those with service dogs and that many of the laws/policies (in the US) are oppressive to dog owners i.e. you can be cited, in many jurisdictions, for leaving your dog in the car, but you can't bring them into the store either, or leave them tied up outside. But my OP was in regard to someone I have known for many years, and though she is getting on in years, has no disability, and the dog is not certified, just well-trained. I find this kind of abuse of 'the system' and of people's general kindness to be just wrong. Relating to handicapped parking, I would rather walk from the furthest parking available than park in a handicapped designated spot. My father has a handicapped hang tag (hip and knee surgeries) but keeps it in his glove box and only uses it if he's having a "bad" day. BTW: Kipawa - don't know where she got the "service dog" vest, but probably not e-Bay as she is not very 'computer savy'. I suspect from someone who actually has service dogs. Which, in and of itself, is another problem.
  • Smiling Dog

    Off Topic
    21
    0 Votes
    21 Posts
    12k Views
    JazzysMomJ
    The golden I used to have did similar things w/her ears/eyes when I approached w/a leash. It was a habit formed from years of me sliding a new collar on with the leash attached. She'd squint and pull her ears back in anticipation of the collar being slid over her head. The smile? I never got that.
  • Dog park

    Off Topic
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    jonny b.J
    that sounds cool. my brother lives in shawnee.. he has a 9mo. old basenji…. i will have to check that out. i would love to see these boys run... :) but will check it out carefully first. thanks!
  • It's Me or the Dog, TV looking for dogs

    Off Topic
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    4k Views
    mauigirlM
    I LOVE It's Me Or The Dog!!! She is awesome. She really lays down the law for people. Especially when the family pack order is all out of whack, which is often.
  • Lucky Dog

    Off Topic
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    QuercusQ
    That is a happy ending! My SIL's boxer ran out the door one Christmas morning at the other SIL's house. We all watched in horror as she dashed into the street and ran INTO an car. She bounced off the passenger door, and seemed completely unphased!