• @Quercus:

I wasn't actually referring to dogs that are affected, but indentified as carriers. I was remember a discussion that occurred very early on in the testing, that some carriers may have some 'bleed thru' of the 'guilty' gene, and spill sugar very late in life. And Dr. Johnson wasn't sure if it was due to regular old age kidney changes, or some sort of genetic explanation. It is very possible that that is very old information, and no longer accurate…but it wasn't the case of inaccurate testing at all.

Good information about testing carriers monthly, though. I didn't realize that, and I haven't been doing it...guess I need to start again..

I have never heard of anyone talking about "bleed thru" or what that is supposed to me.
    A dog cannot spill sugar [as in fanconi] without having two mutant genes. Which would then mean that the dog is affected.

And to make sure it is understood, the two girls that were actually affected did NOT have inaccurate testing. Nothing happened at the lab or at home.
    The dogs DNA actually shows that they are carriers.
    Remember this is the linkage test, and not a direct test.

With the recent equipment purchase and plan of some more testing, they wre able to narrow the 'possble' genes down to 1/3 of what they were planning to look at…so hopefully more info is forthcoming soon.

It is good to know this girl will be getting a great home!
    Good luck with her!

Suggested Topics