Skip to content

Questions about Basenji Vision

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Do Basenji's have more precise vision from a distance than they do up close?

    Do Basenji's see better during the day vs night or dusk?

    Thanks
    Jason

  • Ha. My b's can SEE/SMELL/HEAR any critter anytime. Night chasing scares me as there are skunks abound right now. lol
    I have found I have become a very GOOD horizon scanner… If I see the critter first, I am ready for the CHASE that is sure to come, soon. :)
    Never a dull moment. (i find myself yelling at the stupid squirrels to get in a tree, already/sometimes they torture me with a 3 block run to find the right tree. )

  • The reason I asked the question is because I read a general article in regard to color and range of vision that dogs have. There seems to be some controversy in regard to near or far sighted conditions in dogs. One thing that most agreed to is that dogs have a wider field of vision that a human but also sees less color and suggest that a dogs vision is about 20 degrees off. So being a photographer, I would think that like a camera lens, that 20 degrees would certainly affect a dog depending on the distance to the object they are looking at.

    I did not look at articles for a long time but I did see it suggested that there may be some differences from breed to breed. I also did not see any information that was specifically related to hounds.

    Miranda and I did discover that there are two different type of PRA. Early onset that effects the dogs before the age of 2 and late onset affects the dogs between 4 and 6 years old. These are both genetic. The dog gradually goes blind and there is no treatment for this. It is painless for the dog and most go on to live long happy lives without their sight.

    Jason and Miranda

  • @ComicDom1:

    The reason I asked the question is because I read a general article in regard to color and range of vision that dogs have. There seems to be some controversy in regard to near or far sighted conditions in dogs. One thing that most agreed to is that dogs have a wider field of vision that a human but also sees less color and suggest that a dogs vision is about 20 degrees off. So being a photographer, I would think that like a camera lens, that 20 degrees would certainly affect a dog depending on the distance to the object they are looking at.

    I did not look at articles for a long time but I did see it suggested that there may be some differences from breed to breed. I also did not see any information that was specifically related to hounds.

    Miranda and I did discover that there are two different type of PRA. Early onset that effects the dogs before the age of 2 and late onset affects the dogs between 4 and 6 years old. These are both genetic. The dog gradually goes blind and there is no treatment for this. It is painless for the dog and most go on to live long happy lives without their sight.

    Jason and Miranda

    And Basenji are in the "late" onset group. Sometimes as late as even 9 or 10… first clue usually to PRA is not being able to see at night...... There are a couple of breeds that they have DNA test for PRA, however not yet for the type Basenjis get. It is on the BCOA list of genetic tests we would like to see worked on......
    Again, this is way it is important to have your B's eyes checked by a board certified Ophthalmolgist and one that is familar with Basenjis.

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji Dandruff

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    senjisillyS
    My Valentino had terrible dandruff. His vet said it was due to dry skin. She had me add Goat's milk and coconut oil to his diet. His dandruff lessened dramatically after about a month. The amount of coconut oil (solid or liquid) per day should be no more than 1 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight. Valentino is about 27 lbs. so I give him about 2.5-3 teaspoons a day. I divide the amount in half and add it too his meals. I feed goat milk rarely because it is so high in calories.
  • IBS in basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    3 Votes
    15 Posts
    10k Views
    ZandeZ
    @jengosmonkey That is a very interesting link. My girl suffered none of the possible side effects. No lethargy, listlessness, weight gain and her shape remained immaculate till the day she died. But she no longer suffered from IBS.
  • Sick Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    O
    Yes, Spencer is much better now, but he is still very thin. He lost six pounds. Even strong antibiotics cannot fight a severe abscess. I'm sure your vet found and resolved the problem under anesthesia, so that should put Egyn over the hump. SubQs and a few weeks of antiobiotics will hopefully get him back on the road to health. I had to feed Spencer critical care dog food through a syringe for several days after the surgery, then make him special soft food– the aforementioned meatballs-- for weeks after that. Good luck to you-- and positive thoughts to Egyn!
  • Basenjis are popular..

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    9k Views
    JannekeJ
    @ibi_n_sane: the ears of the basenji of the pictures you show look like their is really something wrong, but it is not right to think that a basenji with a bit thin fur on his ears also has a condition/ disease that causes this. Of course, this dog is diagnosed with pattern baldness. And no, you can't say that every basenji/dog with less fur on the ears has this condition. Like Tanza said: it could be flies, or maybe cold, malnutrition.. I do think that Tillo's bald blackish ear rims are more than just 'loosing hair because it's winter/spring/summer..' And I would love to know what's causing it. That's why I wanted to ask it at the University and that's why I was suprised to see the B-ears on the screen and to hear about this 'pattern baldness' :)
  • Question

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    20k Views
    S
    Oh, I am sorry about the loss of your b to cars. Sadly, when they get out, the are often not car smart. Hugs.
  • Hip Question

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    barkless513B
    Thank you..again! Yeah, it doesn't bother him a bit. It is kinda hard to see, just a dip at the top of his hip. I'll wait it out.:)