• @JazzysMom:

I've always used dog shampoo, and have never read anywhere about cat shampoo - only to use a gentle shampoo due to the potential for sensitive skin. Your post intrigued me, so I did an Internet search and found nothing about cat shampoo.
    Perhaps shampoos are different here? They all need to be non-toxic, so would be safe for licking regardless.

Well, it is confusing….we humanized dogs to the point of exhaustion, esp.if you have basenji's, which I believe are one of the most primative dogs on earth, at least, trainning, feeding wise. They would rather be cruled up in the sun, killing whatever they want, birds, cats in my case, and of course play......play, run.

K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid....but this is a billion dollar industry.......

Barooo's to all, and good luck

• @CrazyBasenjiMom:

Well, it is confusing….we humanized dogs to the point of exhaustion, esp.if you have basenji's, which I believe are one of the most primative dogs on earth, at least, trainning, feeding wise. They would rather be cruled up in the sun, killing whatever they want, birds, cats in my case, and of course play......play, run.

K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid....but this is a billion dollar industry.......

Barooo's to all, and good luck

I agree, Basenjis are far from delicate little flowers!!!

My Bs clean themselves and every one else in the house, given a chance!
    The girls have a morning routine - clean the Eski's eyes, the Shep's eyes and ears, each other's ears, and try to catch me as I step out of the shower in the a.m.

• I'm familiar with some of the ins and outs of cosmetics products from work, and it appears pet product manufacturers have a lot of leeway regarding labeling. Pet products are not regulated (if at all) in the US like cosmetic products for people, which are regulated by the FDA and thus have labeling requirements. As the pet products manufacturers are not required to put the ingredient list on their products, and a number of them don't…this allows them to make a number of product claims that may or may not be necessarily be completely true on their products and you really don't know what's in them. Usually items such as botanicals (tea-tree oil, for instance) are put in such minor quantities that they really serve no actual purpose other than allowing the manufacturer to make the claim that it's there. In general, ingredients like that (even in human products) are primarily for consumer perception and do not provide a functional benefit.

While I have no real problem with pet shampoos that don't list ingredients (particularly if it works for your dog), I've moved towards buying pet shampoos that list the actual ingredients and I would probably be just as comfortable using basic human shampoo products on my pets as well. Then, if my dogs have issues with a particular shampoo, I can look for ones that have different ingredients. Comparing ingredient lists on simple pet shampoos that do list ingredients, they are not any different than human shampoos and I'd wager that many are just low-cost formulations for people (possibly just packaged in a different bottle at the toll manufacturer). The few basic cat shampoos that I looked at weren't really different than dog shampoos. I'd avoid certain ingredients because I know that they can be irritating but that's about it.

• Nemo - that is interesting. I didn't know pet products weren't regulated. What kind of work do you do? I wash with a pet shampoo that I like the smell of - the only problem I've encountered is an increasing urge to chase cars and squirrels. 😃

Guess what I tried on Miss Priss who is allergy prone - Head and Shoulders.
    It is clearing up her inflamed red feet - better than the drugs she is taking.
    I read it on an internet forum about dog allergies.

Rinse well as the product might not be too good for a dog to ingest.

• @Vicki:

Nemo - that is interesting. I didn't know pet products weren't regulated. What kind of work do you do? I wash with a pet shampoo that I like the smell of - the only problem I've encountered is an increasing urge to chase cars and squirrels. 😃

Guess what I tried on Miss Priss who is allergy prone - Head and Shoulders.
    It is clearing up her inflamed red feet - better than the drugs she is taking.
    I read it on an internet forum about dog allergies.

Rinse well as the product might not be too good for a dog to ingest.

Well, they aren't at least for labelling of basic shampoos. I've been trying to find some indication that they regulated otherwise but I can't very easily. They are in the case such as flea and tick shampoos where the EPA and possibly the FDA may then have jurisdiction…basically when they may make either drug or pesticide claims. My guess also is that they will follow FDA practices likely if they also make products for people as well in the same facility.

I do research & development at a consumer products company that makes things like tissue, diapers, some toiletries, baby wipes, etc. Besides the toiletries, some bath tissue and facial tissue (such as ones with lotion) and wipes all fall under FDA regulation so that's how I get to learn all of this fun info. :rolleyes:

• I just picked up a bottle of this stuff:

http://petzlife.com/item/LavenderShampoo

Tried it out this afternoon. Kananga's coat feels very soft after using this shampoo. It's a nice mild scent too, nothing too strong. I figured Petzlife makes great dental products, they probably make a great shampoo. Kudos to the petstore nearby that carries their products. I was going to get the oatmeal shampoo but they were all out, I guess that means it's a good shampoo. 😃

• <>
    Unfortunately, the pet industry itself is fairly unregulated. All those wonderful toys and products you see that say 'vet tested' in pet stores are unregulated. It never states what vets, from where, what credentials, etc. So does it mean WW1 vet? Who knows. I'm really leary of labels and the pet industry itself. I haven't found it meant a whole lot to have ingredients listed either.
    A lot of the time I just use baby shampoo. At least I know it's mild, has been tested for human use, and it rinses clean. But, I don't bath mine that often either.

• I use Espree Silky Show shampoo and conditioner on my girls. I have also used Crown Royale shampoo on them. Both leave their coats silly and smooth. The Espree really helps to detangle one of my girls tails. It can get knotty and dry.

Suggested Topics