Skip to content

Thoughts on Basenji or not

Member Introductions

Suggested Topics

  • Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?

    Member Introductions
    47
    1 Votes
    47 Posts
    19k Views
    helle deviH
    @italeigha said in Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?: @adina Thanks so much for this. The breeders we are looking at seem to have all those boxes checked and we found them through AKC. We are hoping this is surely a trusted source... Alas, AKC lists breeders who have paid to be listed. There is NO vetting. Please apply due diligence in choosing your breeder. You should spend almost as much time researching the breeder (and the sire and dam) as you have the breed of dog. The breeder can let you know much of the pup's temperament and potential character. Good luck.
  • New Basenji

    Member Introductions
    43
    0 Votes
    43 Posts
    21k Views
    KanangaK
    He's a hungry dog today. Gave him 1/2 cup in the morning and just a few minutes ago. He had no problem eating. I'm much more happy that he's eating now. He likes his bone as well. Not too much into the Kong yet. I just wish he didn't cry in his crate when I put him in there. Feel bad for him but I know it just takes adjusting. He is perfectly fine when I return home after he's been in there awhile. It's just the initial time. To be honest though, this transition went far better than I expected. I was prepared for the worst. This little guy has done very well.
  • Anybody's thoughts on Basenji health issues

    Member Introductions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    8k Views
    LindaHL
    @maxamali: Long story short I am electing to go without surgery and treat with anti-inflammatory medicine as well as a joint supplement. For a joint supplement, I can highly recommend (from personal experience with our previous Basenji, Maxx), Missing Link Plus. It's expensive at places like Petco and PetsMart, but you can find it much cheaper by doing an Internet search.
  • Basenji on the Brain !

    Member Introductions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    QuercusQ
    @cmd: Our 12yr old Ramsey is from one of Linda's Basenji's and a very sweet guy. Have you tried Hacker's Basenji's? Ann is an active and very responsible breeder and she's near Danville. I can't say enough good things about her. We've had 2 of her dogs and both have had great temperaments. She's friends with a lot of other breeders in the area as well. If she doesn't have any available you could also try Select Basenji's near Dayton. I think she was co-breeding last year. We have a Select and she's a great little dog – a ball of energy though! I too was looking for a Basenji last year at this time. We lost our 14 yr old also year to date and felt a puppy would help everyone move on. Sort of became a mission. Puppies can be hard to come by this late, but we did find several. Nope, Tracy's breeding didn't take this year…but I think she is planning one for spring :)
  • Basenji in Florida

    Member Introductions
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    12k Views
    MantisM
    Yes Kat!! Come to the big dog park on Sunday!! Cairo is officially ready to get back into the pack.. I will be happy to meet you at any dog park in Pinellas county as well!! Cairo is ready to play with another basenji his age!
  • My first basenji

    Member Introductions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    SunnyS
    i found the only thing that gets Sandies attention now days is a rolled news paper… i dont hit her with it, just the site of it and me slapping it against my legg, usually makes her stop what ever she is doing...usually its nothing major... chasing the cats...or if she just wont stop beating me up after we play...