• Teimo and Elzaer Update
    Teimo, almost 14 now has slowed down considerably over the last several months. We were up to walking about 10 miles a day and he outlasts Elzaer every time, but in the last 10 weeks he has suffered two seizures. He seems to come out of them okay, but they are not easy to watch.
    Elzaer has also been a little frustrated, because Teimo does not want to play as much. The younger dog will often just sit silently in front of Teimo and watch him sleep. We decided to introduce another young B into the pack to act as a bridge between Teimo and Elzaer. A roughhouse mate for Elzaer and a caring female for Teimo. So far at least part of that is true. Teimo asserted his dominance the first day we brought Akiki home from the rescue group. Since then we only allow them together under close supervision and with leashes on. We think Teimo would back down, but Akiki has a stubborn mind and is physically more agile and stonger than Teimo. Hopefully they will learn to adjust.

Elzaer is in heaven. He still is able to lay on the sofa with his best bud Teimo and do the B-500 with Akiki. They wrestle, play tug of war and laze in the sunshine when they finally tire. It is exactly what he needed and by how happy Akiki seems it is good for her as well.

Akiki seems to have a skin condition. Just below the collar line on her chest, the white is discolored from the red skin irritation underneath. She also emits a very dog like smell, something none of our other basenjis have ever had. We are treating her with a topical antibiotic that the vet provided and it seems to be somewhat better. We thought that the nylon collar was causing some irritation so we tried a harness on her. She walks well with it, however everywhere the material touches her body the hair has been removed as if she has been shaved. This is only after one week of use. Her fur/hair is the shortest I have ever seen on a basenji. There is nothing to brush and no place for flees or ticks to hide. She seems happy; I hope we can find a solution to the skin irritation.

That the latest…

• Wayne food issues can cause skin issues and smelly b's.
    What are you feeding her?

• We are feeding all of them natures balance dry - no wheat with some wet canned food also by natures balance. We were feeding Elzaer and Teimo Inova for years, but had too many bad batches where both dogs would get sick. Teimo and Elzaer both have wonderful coats. This condition was pre existing on Akiki. I asked the rescue shelter about any possible conditions or allergies, but they did not know of any.

• Try seeking out a good veterinary dermatologist. I know a great one in Seattle, but that won't help you.

Good luck!

• Sometimes dogs/basenjis are sensitive to nylon collars. It is like a contact dermatitis(sp).I would try a leather collar or try keeping the collar off except when you are walking her.

• Thanks, I purchased a leather harness yesterday. Hopefully it will do the trick. She is a good walker and does not pull unless of course she sees bugs bunny on the lawn. Then all bets are off.

• Add some fish oil to her food at each meal. I just poke a capsule and squeeze it on and mix in. I just buy the fish oil for people. We both take it.

• @nobarkus:

Add some fish oil to her food at each meal. I just poke a capsule and squeeze it on and mix in. I just buy the fish oil for people. We both take it.

Sonny gets his fish oil every night but oh boy once I got a whiff of what that stuff smells like I can't get myself to swallow that big pill anymore! :p

• Thanks for the advice. It may be worth a try.

Suggested Topics