• From a responsible breeder you will have a hard time buying outright, IMO. I will not place a pup without co-ownership if they will not be spay/neutered. But then again, my price is no different for a show or pet and the contract is pretty straight forward with the requirements….

and what is your price then?

• I find that the range quoted on the BCOA page is pretty accurate and at least in this area there is no difference for pet or show.

From Screening a Breeder Page:

How much do you charge for a puppy?
    Basenji breeders in the U.S. charge between $800 and $1000 for a companion puppy on a spay/neuter contract. There can be legitimate reasons for charging more or less. However, a breeder who is selling companion puppies for significantly more or less in your geographic area should have good reasons for doing so. A breeder whose fee is significantly below market rate may be producing too many litters and needs to sell quickly. A breeder who sells at an inflated price may be seeking to line his/her pocketbook at your expense.

• Exactly as lvoss states… as prices are different depending on the part of the country, the range put in the Screening a Breeder is pretty right on...
    Some breeders will price a show puppy higher... but that is not typical in No. California except for one breeder that I know of...

• brianpoppee,
    Have you ever lived with a Basenji?

• The breeder I just got my show puppy girl from on the east coast doesn't charge any different for show .vs pet pups.

• @brianpoppee:

so I would need to find a dog that has a full 4 generations that have all health testing done? Even the best pedigrees I have look at do not have all of this?

Something else to keep in mind is that not all health results are always recorded in the OFA database. So if you're researching dogs in the pedigree (and don't forget littermates of all those dogs!) you will probably need to contact some breeders and/or owners of those dogs. Things like CERF eye exams and thyroid panels can be done w/ acceptable testing procedures and results without paying the extra fee to submit to CERF/OFA. So the dog may in fact have results, just not listed publicly. You can still receive copies of the certificates and test results if you want verification. And in some health tests, if the dog did not receive a "passing" score, they may have been left unsubmitted on purpose so you don't see it. So you'll want to do some research.

• @renaultf1:

The breeder I just got my show puppy girl from on the east coast doesn't charge any different for show .vs pet pups.

I would love information on your pup, pedigree, breeders info 🙂
    You can email me at brian poppee @ yahoo.com (put the address together with no spaces)

I am looking forward to information.
    Bri

• @YodelDogs:

brianpoppee,
    Have you ever lived with a Basenji?

no, I have not at this point, but I am truely looking forward to it.

• @renaultf1:

The breeder I just got my show puppy girl from on the east coast doesn't charge any different for show .vs pet pups.

I didn't have to pay anything different for a show puppy either. She is co-owned with the breeder, which i believe is the norm in that case. If you haven't already, you may want to go visit some of the local breeders you are interested in, that may help them feel more comfortable with you and your interests in showing/breeding after you have had a visit. I had to take a few road trips to do that.

• Personally, and I really do mean for me PERSONALLY, so don't anybody get upset. I would be hesitant to buy from a breeder that WOULD sell me my first show/breeding potential Basenji outright. I mean, if she is going to sell me nice enough dog for a novice to finish, and possibly start a breeding program with…it is going to be a nice enough dog that she wants to keep some options for using it in her program in the future, AND have some control over how the dog is used for breeding in the future. She also may want to help the person purchasing her puppy through the process of becoming a responsible and successful showman/breeder and custodian of our breed.

It isn't like dogs are pieces of art, or rocking chairs, or ashtrays...you don't just make them and sell them to whomever has the money...there is a lot of responsiblity to place puppies in the right homes, and a responsible breeders take it seriously.

Each and every one of our our six dogs, and some of the others that have been placed in their forever homes are co-owned with their breeders; after over ten years being active in the breed. In my opinion it is a safeguard, and a benefit, rather than a drawback to owning the dogs.

• @Nemo:

I didn't have to pay anything different for a show puppy either. She is co-owned with the breeder, which i believe is the norm in that case. If you haven't already, you may want to go visit some of the local breeders you are interested in, that may help them feel more comfortable with you and your interests in showing/breeding after you have had a visit. I had to take a few road trips to do that.

My puppy girl is co-owned as well. And yes, as Nemo says, definitely make some breeder visits.

• @Quercus:

Personally, and I really do mean for me PERSONALLY, so don't anybody get upset. I would be hesitant to buy from a breeder that WOULD sell me my first show/breeding potential Basenji outright. I mean, if she is going to sell me nice enough dog for a novice to finish, and possibly start a breeding program with…it is going to be a nice enough dog that she wants to keep some options for using it in her program in the future, AND have some control over how the dog is used for breeding in the future. She also may want to help the person purchasing her puppy through the process of becoming a responsible and successful showman/breeder and custodian of our breed.

It isn't like dogs are pieces of art, or rocking chairs, or ashtrays...you don't just make them and sell them to whomever has the money...there is a lot of responsiblity to place puppies in the right homes, and a responsible breeders take it seriously.

Each and every one of our our six dogs, and some of the others that have been placed in their forever homes are co-owned with their breeders; after over ten years being active in the breed. In my opinion it is a safeguard, and a benefit, rather than a drawback to owning the dogs.

Really well put. And that is exactly how it has gone with my new pup, Aaliyah. She is co-owned by Eldorado and is still part of their showing/breeding program. If I don't do well for Liyah because I don't know what I'm doing showing wise, they will help out. Also, there may be some "bred by exhibitor" class showings that they want to do. Regarding breeding, I have no desire whatsoever to do that…I don't have the knowledge, or understanding at this point, and quite frankly the time to do all the necessary research/studying. Whether she will be used in their program is up to them as she gets older and they see what develops. I'm just starting to understand all the terms in the breed standard for showing purposes, so obviously how could I make breeding decisions.

To me it is a huge benefit that she is co-owned...it is a big responsibility (even the showing part) that I am not ready for on my own.

• Very well put Andrea….
    And I agree, having a mentor in the breed is everything... Both my Mickii and Maggii were co-owned by their breeder for their entire lives.... I still co-own many of the ones that I bred, both as show dogs and as pets.... never been a problem....

• @brianpoppee:

I would love information on your pup, pedigree, breeders info 🙂
    You can email me at brian poppee @ yahoo.com (put the address together with no spaces)

I am looking forward to information.
    Bri

Sorry to not respond to this sooner, I missed it somehow. :o

Anyway, my pup's pedigree can be found on:
    http://www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com/
    Type in the word "chosen" and 3 dogs come up. Mine is Eldorado's The Chosen One.

Her breeder was Eldorado Basenjis in No. Attleboro, MA. Their website is:
    http://www.eldoradobasenji.com. All their contact info is on the site. I won't speak for them, but I am pretty much 100% sure that they would require a co-ownership if you were to inquire about a show prospect.

• From what I see in this pedigree it compares very closely to the one we were talking about earlier (not all health tests are done) one parent is CL and on CR of Fanconi…

Dam is OFA'd Fair, Sire is not OFA'd ????
    Why do you feel this is a better pedigree?

• Eldorado's Bejeweled does not surf
    Eldorado's Hocus Pocus does not surf
    Eldorado's Barcelona does not surf

I am beginning to feel that the only reason you all like this pedigree better is that this is a member of your club and a friend of yours. Your breeder friend stays on as a co-owner which I really see no benefit to or problem with…

So what is the big difference that you see and I am missing?

• @brianpoppee:

From what I see in this pedigree it compares very closely to the one we were talking about earlier (not all health tests are done) one parent is CL and on CR of Fanconi…

Dam is OFA'd Fair, Sire is not OFA'd ????
    Why do you feel this is a better pedigree?

First off, you are probably never going to get a group of people to agree 100% about what is a good pedigree. To clarify some points though.

1. Akuaba N Eldorado Never Say Never is CERF'd and DNA Marker tested prior to the breeding. He was bred under 12 months of age so IF he has an OFA Prelim certificate you would have to contact the breeder to a get a copy since OFA will not list prelims for dogs under 12 months old on their website. Since the dam is tested and the parents are tested, there is a good chance the breeder did the testing but you would have to ask in order to find out.

2. Eldorado's Ooh La La is CERF'd, DNA Marker Tested, and has an OFA rating for hips.

There is no problem with breeding a Carrier to a Clear provided the breeding was done AFTER the test results were recieved so the breeder knows they will not produce any Affecteds.

As for the health testing in this pedigree vs the original one you asked about there are far less gaps in the health testing in this pedigree. They are also testing siblings not just direct descendants also.

• @brianpoppee:

Eldorado's Bejeweled does not surf

This is not true

Eldorado's Bejeweled was last CERF'd July 2008, that test is valid for 12 months so she would not be expected to be tested again until July 2009.
    http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1210648#animal

Eldorado's Barcelona was last CERF'd June 2007, so is due to be retested but has been tested multiple years.
    http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1057756#animal

Eldorado's Hocus Pocus was last CERF'd June 2007, so is due to be retested though she was tested last at 9 years of age so at least you have some idea of how her eyes aged.
    http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1057755#animal

• @brianpoppee:

Eldorado's Bejeweled does not surf

I am beginning to feel that the only reason you all like this pedigree better is that this is a member of your club and a friend of yours. Your breeder friend stays on as a co-owner which I really see no benefit to or problem with…

So what is the big difference that you see and I am missing?

Responsible breeders are typically members of the Basenji Club of America and should be IMO. And 99% of the time responsible breeders all "know" or "know of" each other… and it is not that we are all friends, per say, but they are people that you are comfortable with their breeding practices.

• @lvoss:

First off, you are probably never going to get a group of people to agree 100% about what is a good pedigree. To clarify some points though.

1. Akuaba N Eldorado Never Say Never is CERF'd and DNA Marker tested prior to the breeding. He was bred under 12 months of age so IF he has an OFA Prelim certificate you would have to contact the breeder to a get a copy since OFA will not list prelims for dogs under 12 months old on their website. Since the dam is tested and the parents are tested, there is a good chance the breeder did the testing but you would have to ask in order to find out.

The breeding definitely happened AFTER the test results were received. Sean was one of the first pups in the US to have the cheek swab done…before it was available to the general public...at 10wks of age I believe. He was the only clear in the litter. Monroe was DNA tested as soon as the marker test became available.

Suggested Topics