• Thank you for the above posted links. I'm going to save them in case my coworker ever expresses an interest in further reading on the subject (highly doubtful but I can still hope)

• @tanza:

Here is another interesting read

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/show_detail_news.php?nid=3

Thanks, I also thought both of the links were very informative. I knew about the original intent related to guide dogs in Australia but was not sure what the outcome of the breeding program actually was for that goal. While the original goal was admirable, it's a shame that it was hijacked for a pure-for-profit purpose in the end.

• Well the guy in Eastern WI that came up with the name "Puggle' for a mix he had been breeding for years and "amazing how it took off when we came up with a good name." - he's trying to breed many breeds in a smaller size including St. Bernard. OHHHHH can't wait.

• I don't agree with all this crossing breeds for a gimmick to make money.

I met an ex-neighbour at our training class who had just bought a puppy (he didn't have it with him he was checking the class out) and asked what breed the puppy was, Labradoodle he replied, I asked if he minded if I asked how much he paid for it, ?800 he replied, I nearly fell off my chair ?800 for a crossbred!!

We are starting to find these coming into rescue Kennels over here as they don't always live up to expectations.

• @moetmum:

We are starting to find these coming into rescue Kennels over here as they don't always live up to expectations.

My point is being made! Too bad it's going this way, though.

• Seems like more folks are breeding for looks only and trying to find the "next new designer breed." It's sad when so many dogs, mixed and purebreds, are looking for homes. I'm happy to say my Basenji/Whippet mix came from a local "kill" shelter.

• re: jenwilson…..I think it's great that you were able to save a dog from being put down. As per my earlier post - it really is a shame that there are so many being put into shelters, for whatever reason. In other posts there have been mention of what responsible breeders go through for the betterment of the breed. Now we have all these mixes with no real science as to what looks & temperment will be. Not that we can't love the heinz57 variety, & I've had my share. But to purposely mill or BYB these animals for that extra $? Personally, I think some people should have a reality check. Just my 2cents.

G

• Don't get me wrong, I love all dogs - I just prefer basenji
    BUT- I just couldn't resist….......remember, this is just in fun......
    AnnouncingThe newest & rare breed. After 2 generations of careful & selective breeding, we are pleased to introduce---the ****adoodle. The perfect match between chicken & poodle. We now have a dog with 4 drumsticks that will also supply you with eggs every morning for breakfast......How much do you think it will fetch?????

Again, this is all in fun.

AND:::

We all know that diamonds are a girls best friend. But what/who is a guy's best friend?
    His wife/girlfriend or his dog?
    The ultimate test............
    Lock both of them in the trunk of the car for an hour.
    When they are let out, which will be happier to see him?

G

• @gneigum:

Don't get me wrong, I love all dogs - I just prefer basenji
    BUT- I just couldn't resist….......remember, this is just in fun......
    AnnouncingThe newest & rare breed. After 2 generations of careful & selective breeding, we are pleased to introduce---the ****adoodle. The perfect match between chicken & poodle. We now have a dog with 4 drumsticks that will also supply you with eggs every morning for breakfast......How much do you think it will fetch?????

Again, this is all in fun.

AND:::

We all know that diamonds are a girls best friend. But what/who is a guy's best friend?
    His wife/girlfriend or his dog?
    The ultimate test............
    Lock both of them in the trunk of the car for an hour.
    When they are let out, which will be happier to see him?

G

Ha, ha….very funny! I had a client that had a Bichon/Poodle and I decided to call it a bitchiepoo 😉

And I totally agree with your prior post...if people want a 'designer' breed, all they need to do is go to their nearest rescue agency, and help a dog in need...that will say far more about their character than a $3000 labradoodle says about their bank account!

• LOL, I know this conversation is pretty much over but I had to jump in anyway. I too, think the new "designer breeds" are silly. They make cute mutts sometimes, like my precious "Chiweenie". I never knew there was a name for a Chihuahua/Dacshund mix/mutt until we got him from a ….. !surprise! shelter. :p

Suggested Topics