Skip to content

Basenji on the Roof

Basenji Talk
  • Brando is too funny! He's been at my house since last April, so almost a year. This past week he has suddenly started looking at his own reflection in the skylights at night. He sees himself, stares for a bit and then starts running really fast around the living room…I think he thinks there is another basenji on the roof :D. I've gone over to him to pet him and wave up to him in the skylight so that he sees me. It is so funny because he tilts his head so I know he sees me waving. This weekend we had temps in the 40s and every time ice would come off, he'd run over and try to see the mystery basenji making all the noise. Only problem was it was daylight so no reflection...so he couldn't see the basenji on the roof. As soon as night came though, he started looking up and there it was! :D

    What a card...he totally cracks me up. He's such a busy boy. :D

  • That is absolutely hilarious, you need to get a video of it!!!:D

  • That reminds me of Gossip seeing her reflection in the patio door. Every once in awhile she'll charge at the door to get at the basenji on the other side.

  • That **is **hilarious!

  • Congo looks at himself in the mirror and admires himself from every angle. He checks himself sitting, then he'll turn his back to it and flip his head around, then he checks himself out broadside. After all that he lets out this contented sigh. I am not sure if he thinks its another basenji or if he thinks he is just very good looking.

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji for me or not ?

    Moved Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    8k Views
    ZandeZ
    @planetsaver said in Basenji for me or not ?: Will be a problem to leave him alone, let's say 10 days / month an average of 9 hours a day. Also I do not want to have to much trouble with the neighbours, but I understand he can make some noise sometimes, maybe he can be trained to stay alone and not to bark that much. Why would you even think about training a hunting hound to stay home alone ? I would never let my Basenjis alone for more than 4 hours, and even that is very rare. 3 hours is absolute maximum. Like @tanza, I have sold puppies into apartment environments as long as all other boxes ticked positive. Someone there all the time, proper attention to training, not just leaving the dog alone, especially not as a puppy. btw, he won't bark at all. As you would know if you had really researched the breed. He will cry and scream but not bark ! No. At least you are asking questions but I really think you should find another breed.
  • Basenji or...not?

    Basenji Talk
    26
    1 Votes
    26 Posts
    26k Views
    HeidiAceH
    @debradownsouth Thanks you so much. We'll give it a try.
  • My Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    6k Views
    krunzerK
    ….is a wingnut, but can spot a squirrel a mile away.
  • Basenji Song-Moon Over Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    12k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh Barklessdog, you are a brave person. I must now stand with you in insane-solidarity and admit I bought it too. It is awful but when you get the line "we couldn't say goodbye so we took him home" part, you know you got to help support the woman. lol
  • Basenji Traits Your Basenji Doesn't Have…

    Basenji Talk
    32
    0 Votes
    32 Posts
    34k Views
    M
    My Rue is pretty perfect. She is mixed with something (I don't know what) so she doesn't look like a real B… and she isn't interested in anything in our house (chewing wise), doesn't bolt out the door, and licks like CRAZY! She also doesn't really like to play with other dogs at the dog park, she just smells them, occasionally chases them, then comes back and lays down by me (EXERCISE DANG IT!). The only normal B behaviors that I see in her are the little noises that she makes (she makes a lot of them for different reasons) and her BAROOOOOOO (which is fitting because we named her Rue before we even knew she was a Basenji) and it seems like she is stubborn about sitting. It's like she is saying, "yeah I know you want me to sit, but first I'm gonna spin around in a circle. Then maybe I'll sit if I feel like it." Haha! She is a character!
  • "A Tired Basenji Is A Happy Basenji"

    Basenji Talk
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    23k Views
    WeLuvBasenjisW
    I have found that if I take my B to doggie daycare (even if it's only for half a day), she is ehausted when I bring her home. She will let me do the dishes without any basenji help! She also tends to treat our doggie friends a little nicer when they come around. Having a worn out basenji is deifinitely worth the $15!!