• I have a 2 yr. old female b who is in emergency surgery as we speak, having a large section of towel removed from her intestines. Her and my 7 yr. old male b have gone through multiple bedding material since they have both been pups. I must have gone through at least 10 beds, I replace the towels every week or two. Please give me some ideas of what I can use in the crates as bedding. If I use nothing at all in the crates, they will not sit or lay down all day! I would appreciate any help ya'll can give me.

• Nemo had to have surgery as well to remove a piece of towel. I did not use it as bedding though…I accidently left the laundry room door open and he ate a large section. I would avoid anything like a towel that gets all stringy when torn apart, which is perfect for creating an intestinal blockage. Nemo, isn't allowed to have any fluffy-type bedding when he is unsupervised. I have a kuranda bed in his kennel that he sleeps on during the day. The benefit of that type of bed is that the corners of the fabric are covered with pretty wide diameter PVC and makes it extremely difficult to get to the edges of the fabric. Depending on the fabric, they could dig in into it and tear it but it's replaceable with stronger fabric. They make one for crates with shorter legs, which might work. I wouldn't use the fleece cover though. Nemo really likes it. Good Luck!

http://kuranda.com/catalog/crate_bed.php

• Oh, and stupid me…good luck with the surgery! I know how horrible that feels when something like that happens. I hope your baby recovers soon.

• Have you tried newspaper in the crates? And there is a pad that you could try, called a bully pad, I know alot of people that have used them for dogs that destroy bedding… I use them for whelping and they are great.... wash great too...

Here is one link, you can goggle however for more places... I have even seen them on ebay
    http://www.dogsupplies.com/store/mcart.php?ID=101

• I use newspapers in the crate - Luny destroys it everyday (doesn't eat it as far as I can tell) but the ink does get on their paws so you have to be sure to wash them or you'll get the ink transferred everywhere else they walk (newspaper ink is made from corn or soybean so it won't harm them either).
    My breeder suggested cheap paper towels - even if they it, it won't harm them. With all the gastric juices in the stomach it should just disintegrate not like cloth towels.

• Here is where I get Bully Pads
    http://www.upco.com (then seach for bully pads)

• @wizard:

I use newspapers in the crate - Luny destroys it everyday (doesn't eat it as far as I can tell) but the ink does get on their paws so you have to be sure to wash them or you'll get the ink transferred everywhere else they walk (newspaper ink is made from corn or soybean so it won't harm them either).

If you want to use newspaper and don't want to worry about the ink, you can buy the end of the rolls at you local newspaper. That is what I buy when we have pups. They usually measure how many inches are left on the roll and charge accordingly.

Suggested Topics