Skip to content

Vet Concerned with Growling

Behavioral Issues

Suggested Topics

  • My vet says my puppy is too aggressive

    Behavioral Issues
    51
    0 Votes
    51 Posts
    20k Views
    helle deviH
    @giira2121 as @donc said First off, if a vet thinks neutering will change aggressive behavior you should look for a new vet. That is such a discredited myth. If she doesn't know that what else doesn't she know? When considering whether to neuter, I'd suggest you check out the link below. It has scientific research to dispel many neutering myths. It's a brief but very thorough booklet discussing the pros and cons of neutering/spaying, more science based than anecdotal. https://my.puppyculture.co.uk/resources/flipbook/spay-neuter-booklet/ There is definitely less societal compulsion to spay/neuter in Europe.
  • First signs of aggression? Should I be concerned?

    Behavioral Issues
    14
    1 Votes
    14 Posts
    5k Views
    ZandeZ
    @rugosab said in First signs of aggression? Should I be concerned?: must be considered ALPHA, as are all my family. Exactly !!! The only way to run a pack is to be the Alpha at all times.
  • Growling at my wife

    Behavioral Issues
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    tanzaT
    And your wife should be feeding him....not you.....
  • Growling at bedtime

    Behavioral Issues
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    6k Views
    CrazySenjiC
    This is a very common basenji issue! They get comfortable and don't want to be bothered. My brindle dog only does it when he's still delirious from sleep and "snaps out of it" when he realizes what's going on. Teaching a dog "OFF!" is very important! Do it when they are happy and awake and then move to sleepy and grumpy. On the couch, say OFF! and treat them when they get it right. It becomes a game. Both of my dogs know what "OFF!" means and listen to it. One of them will continue to grumble until he's fully awake and then he's back to his happy self. I agree with Pat and the treats for crate time. When I leave for work I say "Who wants a treat?" and off they run to their kennels! I break out the good stuff for going to work time. At night I say night-night and in they go. This didn't happen overnight! It took my red boy months to like his crate. Lots of sleepless nights with a screaming puppy. I actually had to buy him a new one because I discovered he was scared of the all enclosed plastic crates. Now his perfect in his crate and goes in on his own to relax.
  • Basenji Growling & Aggression

    Pinned Behavioral Issues
    89
    0 Votes
    89 Posts
    142k Views
    O
    Hello, Im new here and have a question in regards to growling. We just rescued an older male Basenji that was just neutered. We have had him a week. He doesn't play with toys. Seems to like any dog he comes across. Tolerates small children and seems to want attention from any person that comes along. He doesn't seem to be food aggressive and is perfectly happy to sit by me most of the day when I'm home. I even come home for lunch to walk him every day. My question is that when we first got him he had no issues getting into his crate, but now he has started growling and getting his back hair up when I tell him to get into his house. Hes too new for me to want to allow him to wander the house with the cats alone. I tried giving him treats when he went in to make it a positive experience but he doesn't seem very happy and now growls every time I ask him to go in. Any suggestions to help with this issue?
  • Growling Now???!!!

    Behavioral Issues
    29
    0 Votes
    29 Posts
    15k Views
    tanzaT
    @Vanessa626: Here is an update on the little growler. Since the post I have tried a few different things and the best thing that seems to work is getting down and dirty :) (figure of speech) I have been mixing the food with my hands and hand feeding him. It has been working and after doing that for a few minutes I give him the bowl and sit next to him telling him that he is a good boy. So far so good. He is definitely trying to show that he is becoming a teenager but what he doesn't realize..I am more stubborn than him and wont give in :) He is now sleeping on the floor. No more sleeping with us. I now make sure I am first to walk out any door and he must follow. These little things are helping. Thanks everyone for offering suggestions!!! That is great…. and glad that Chance is getting the message... It has always amazed me how quickly they get these ideas into their heads...