Skip to content

Basenji in Drs Foster and Smith Magazine

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    -1 Votes
    4 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    Where I am it costs about $2K+ for a dog from a breeder for just about any breed. Goldens may be less because the litters are so large. That may seem like a lot, but, as Debra mentions, dogs cost money to care for. After vet bills and boarding fees and food, it matters little what the dog cost to acquire. Leaving true puppy mills out of the discussion, given the costs of being a responsible breeder -- testing, vet bills, feeding -- and how much work breeding is, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the money. That leads to two problems for people looking for dogs. One is that since breeding isn't really lucrative, there aren't a ton of breeders, which means the supply of pups is low. Second is that most Basenji breeders want to place their pups in the best possible homes -- remember they aren't doing it for the money -- which means they're looking for people who have had Basenjis before. Something of a Catch-22.
  • Basenji Song-Moon Over Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    12k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh Barklessdog, you are a brave person. I must now stand with you in insane-solidarity and admit I bought it too. It is awful but when you get the line "we couldn't say goodbye so we took him home" part, you know you got to help support the woman. lol
  • Basenji in Dog Fancy magazine January 2012 issue

    Basenji Talk
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    6k Views
    Marie HeidebrechtM
    It's a very well-written article and I think it accurately describes the basenji's idiosyncrasies that we all know and love and that the average person would find frustrating. I think the take-home message for those who don't know basenjis is that they should educate themselves more before taking the "plunge". Personally, I was thrilled to see a b/w pictured. My only complaint is that the main cover dog wasn't a basenji!
  • The Modern Basenji Magazine

    Basenji Talk
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    9k Views
    KipawaK
    I just purchased the magazine. It will probably take a little while longer to make it here to Canada (international mailing). I can't wait to get it.
  • Is she a basenji

    Basenji Talk
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    22k Views
    W
    lol usually when you breed a bigger dog to a smaller dog the Male is the tiny one. Its just dangerous to do it the other way around. As far as DNA breed testing I would go for it if I could. But i am just interested in those kinds of tests. We offer them at our clinic but i haven't ever seen results for them.
  • 0 Votes
    26 Posts
    29k Views
    agilebasenjiA
    I'd suggest getting a food delivery puzzle. 3 of my 4 dogs get their breakfast that way (including the young malinois). You may even want to get more than one and rotate it. And a chuckit.