• Many of them are probably on accident, unfortunately. Sometimes, some beautiful dogs are the result.

• Yes, but then you have the designer breeds ie, dogs with good PR and it just adds to the excess animal population.
    Don't get me wrong, I love quality basenji breeders who work to improve the breed we love.
    But these oops dogs, well, they are just more dogs that need homes.
    Sigh.

• I completely agree with you. I'm not saying people should breed anything with anything. I just thought I'd share a pic of that particular mix. It was cute. Lighten up! Nobody is disagreeing with you! 😃 😃

• Sorry if I seem to be a bit grim on this…I do basenji rescue.
    That is all I do.
    I have post every day about some sweet looking dog who is a basenji mix.
    Can I find a home for this dog???
    I am working to save the PB and it breaks my heart I can't save the mixes as well.
    I want all b's and b mixes to have a forever home.
    Sorry again if this is negative.
    Just telling you how it goes in my world.

• Judging from your signature line, I kinda figured. I can tell that you are very passionate about the breed. That's good. I know how hard it must be to see all the animals who don't find good homes, Basenji or not. I would love to volunteer in an animal shelter someday when all of my children are in school during the day, but I would hate to see any of them have to be euthanized, pure bred or mutt.

• Hollie is a Basenji/Whippet mix. I got her at a local animal shelter. Don't know if the mix was on purpose or accident and don't care…. Personally I prefer the mixes!!

You can see all her pics at: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/350685

• @jenwilson:

Hollie is a Basenji/Whippet mix. I got her at a local animal shelter. Don't know if the mix was on purpose or accident and don't care…. Personally I prefer the mixes!!

You can see all her pics at: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/350685

Hollie is cute! She has the whippet ears 😃 😉

• I saw on dogster the picture for Hollie with the 2008 Ugliest Dog Contest. I hope she didn't win because she is adorable…with her sweet smile...who could say she is ugly? 🙂

• Basenji x Podenco…

i once saw such a mix and i loved it...

• my own dog is a B mix. We call him a "boxenji"… boxer + basenji. We adopted our dog from a shelter, so it certainly wasn't a "planned" mixing. I do think it's a great mix though (as an "oops", I'd never advocate "designer" mixed breeds). He has the personality of a B, but the strength of a boxer.

Suggested Topics