Skip to content

Sleepy Puppy….

Behavioral Issues

Suggested Topics

  • Puppy Aggressively Biting

    Behavioral Issues
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    12k Views
    ZandeZ
    Neutering is not going to help - training is. But a good trainer will train YOU to deal with the dog. If a trainer can get him to behave but you can't - there is little to be gained from paying out money. This is something you should never have allowed to happen, but since it has, I think you should deal with it and @JENGOSMonkey has given you a good idea to start you off. Withdrawing treats is a good idea, but also, get up and walk away. He could be biting to get attention and therefore you withdraw the attention at the first sign of a bite, with a firm NO.
  • Puppy and confined spaces

    Behavioral Issues
    31
    1 Votes
    31 Posts
    22k Views
    elbrantE
    @lustopher said in Puppy and confined spaces: it's about time he starts to also understand that he doesn't always have to leave his chewing to check out what we're doing It doesn't happen often, but I agree with @tanza on this. He's a baby and it is pretty "normal", but also remember that dogs are pack animals. You, your significant other, and the pup are now his "pack". If you are in another room and he comes to look for you, I would suggest just ignoring him. If he comes to you, give him a pet and go back to whatever you were doing. He will either go back to the room he was in, or settle down somewhere in the room you are in. Both of which should be acceptable. This is something that may be less frequent as he gets older, but probably never disappear entirely. Which is a good thing, I think.
  • Introducing other dogs (puppies) to my B

    Behavioral Issues
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    5k Views
    eeeefarmE
    On feeding, when I had multiple dogs I always did the same as Zande, all dogs fed at the same time, although not always the same place. When the weather was nice I sometimes fed outside. But wherever, I sat and supervised until everyone was finished. I had one who would try to poach if not watched, but she knew better than to make a move with me sitting there. Never had a serious fight with any of mine, and never a disagreement over food, but a breeder I know had to permanently separate two bitches who hated each other and would fight instantly if they had the opportunity....the cause of their dislike had nothing to do with food and everything to do with one bitch interfering with the other one's pups.
  • Basenji puppy growling when woken up

    Behavioral Issues
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    12k Views
    C
    I made sure when my girl did it, I con tinued to pick her up and say stop being so snarky and she would stop imedietely and lick me. I have a very unusual Basenji who loves to kiss and maybe that is because we kissed on her all the time from the day we got her, and whenever she got grumpy and than stopped she got loved on and kissed on. She rarely gets annoyed now because we follow through and never let her think she is the boss. So just follow through and tell her no and dont stop what you already started or she will think she is in control. I was literally a nervous owner with mine because I had heard so many stories about Basenjis and how difficult they can be, and I always had Whippets which are so laid back it is not even funny. But now I have totally gotten over it. I would get another Basenji in a minute and not think twice about it. She is the most entertaining awesome dog we have ever had. Just make sure she knows her place in the pack and love on her alot. It has worked with ours.
  • My puppy is no longer a puppy.

    Behavioral Issues
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    11k Views
    renaultf1R
    @tanza: So you think…ggg.... I will be waiting to here what happens when you put panties on your girl.... go out and come home.... Tea Tree Oil or not...:rolleyes: LOL, took the words right out of my mouth…we want pictures of how the panties look after you leave her with them on and you're not around to watch her. :D :D :D With Ruby, anyone I talked to about the panties said, skip it because they'll get shredded and clean up after her...so that was what I did. Wasn't really a big deal. I have wood floors, area rugs that are easily washed, and blankets I put on the furniture. :D And with Ruby, I know exactly how it would have gone w/panties (not good) just based on how she was about me checking that area to see if she was bleeding.
  • Does my puppy not like me?

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    B
    Mine do the same….visitors get the full "treatment" , Tail wagging, low growling, yipping, the works. I tell ya.......:rolleyes: