• I know Lance was a kennel pup, and was exposed to the house…but my GOD at 11months he is chewing like a teething 4 month old! It's driving me up the wall. I have to go and get some bitter apple. He's doing it right in front of me and he knows I'm the alpha. Sometimes I just don't get him. But I will prevail! I'm more stubborn than the Basenjis. 😉

• Sahara is only 8 mos. old and she is a chewer also, I know she has all her adult teeth by now. I provide her with plenty of rawhide bones, teething toys and such to keep her off my furniture and things. Just last week I found teeth marks on my new coffeetable, I was so mad. It is solid wood and was a bit expensive, and looked all around the table and found 2 more spots. They are deep nawing marks, my hubby will have to fix it. Today I found a metal slat in my window blind that she has chewed. I got so frustrated with all the chewed up things that today I ordered an inside electric trainer. I had to do something, I can't imagine the time she will have with my Christmas tree.

• I'm worried too about my Christmas tree. Is he going to pee on it? Yikes, I am so used to girl dogs…this is my first boy since I was 19.

Now he's chewing on the chairs that go to my dining room table. I squirt him with the water bottle and yell no when I catch him...but like that's going to deter a Basenji!

• @annandael:

I know Lance was a kennel pup, and was exposed to the house…but my GOD at 11months he is chewing like a teething 4 month old! It's driving me up the wall. I have to go and get some bitter apple. He's doing it right in front of me and he knows I'm the alpha. Sometimes I just don't get him. But I will prevail! I'm more stubborn than the Basenjis. 😉

Well, people think "alpha" means different things. Chewing is not an "alpha" type issue for dogs, its a natural desire that a real (ie dog) alpha wouldn't care to control. But even in "alpha" issues, such as food, you'll find that you might have an "alpha" most the time but the dog's desire for it will over run the alpha issue.

That said, alpha isn't the issue. It rarely is. The issue is training. With most breeds you can discuss that rationally, logically, and work on it. I train dogs, aggressive big dogs. Training works. Sigh.. or sometimes it does.

I used to hang my head in shame but now I just accept as a fact that Sayblee did more damage monetarily in her first 2 yrs than my Rotties and chows and rescues had done in the previous 17 yrs. She could cut a bra or slip strap so that it looked like SCISSOR CUTS in the time, no joke, that i took my eyes off her to answer the phone. Train, schmain. She wanted to chew far more than she cared about my training, alpha status, or anything else. I am simply grateful she outgrew it. Arwen was never as destructive but she will gut any and all woobies (stuffed toys). Its sad cause sayblee will squeek a toy forever, often up to 10 mins at a time. Connor, my 120 pound rottie, would carry his woobies outside in him mouth, back in, sleep on them. Since Arwen came, we can't have them anymore cause did I mention she guts them all?

I could have simply posted the following and made this short.

I feel your pain! 🙂

And btw, good luck on bitter apple. I haven't had a dog yet who didn't think I was rewarding them with a yummy basting sauce!

Suggested Topics