Skip to content

Vote For A Little Basenji Girl

Member Introductions

Suggested Topics

  • Benji the Basenji

    Member Introductions
    12
    3 Votes
    12 Posts
    5k Views
    ZandeZ
    @tanza said in Benji the Basenji: It is important to know the health of the pup and/or their sire/dam Well said ! It may not seem important now - you can say you will never show or need to register your Basenji - but in a few year's time you may find you wish you had known the health test results of the parents. By constant checking and careful breeding, many lines have obviated the most devastating scourges, but they are still around. Better to know for sure if your puppy is tested and imperative to make certain his or her parents were.
  • Basenji mix?

    Member Introductions
    7
    1 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    ZandeZ
    @allyn said in Basenji mix?: Meanwhile I know that like a Basenji, he should never be off leash, and we always need to make sure the gate is securely shut, I have had Basenjis for a long, long time now. I have always let them run off lead in the woods away from traffic. They have all been taught - and I have had up to eight at a time although am now down to one, soon to be two (!) - to return to me if I whistle. Basenjis CAN be taught to run free and to obey commands. Yes, gates should be kept shut, tightly, at all times. But away from traffic, they can be trained to behave and allowed to run free. I have bought a puppy sling for my new boy so I can take him to the woods with Hoover, and let him meet lots of people and thoroughly socialise until he has had his shots. I don't intend to deprive Hoover of her freedom just because of the puppy. He will learn to walk on a leash but mostly he'll be the hunter nature intended him to be.
  • Basenji or not ????

    Member Introductions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    I have to go read your link, but having been called to the shelter to see a chow that was an overweigh pomeranian, a rottweiler that was a lovely hound dog (Rottie rescue in FL told me keep quiet, they knew it wasn't a rottie but had a good home so just get it. I expected a LITTLE Rottweiler looking... bahahaha, no.)... vets who thought our basenjis were so many other things, not much surprises me.
  • My first Basenji!!

    Member Introductions
    33
    0 Votes
    33 Posts
    19k Views
    thunderbird8588T
    Cairo is growing well, he's lovely. I know what you mean about the black eyeliner job, Malaika has it too.
  • 0 Votes
    90 Posts
    51k Views
    QuercusQ
    @Janneke: This discussion isn't new.. Every now and again it comes up when new members are 'overwhelmed' by all the goodness of the oldies here ;) But I have to say.. It is better now than it has been.. (but I'm a very positive thinker ;)) So the discussions weren't for nothing :) I think there has to be a balance between sharing info and scaring people off.. You can't be 'only nice' when people are asking things, or planning things, with which other people don't agree. (like breeding without health testing.. or buying a pup when it's clear the breeder isn't ok..) Maybe the problem is, that everybody wants to say the same thing and it becomes a bit too much.. But that's a forum.. everybody is allowed to share it's opinion.. even if the one before him already said the same thing.. You should all visit the Dutch forums.. ggg.. we (cheeseheads) can be very direct.. so it's not always as nice and well said/written as it is here.. :D I agree, especially with…well, everything above. But in a way, it is kind of good for this topic to come every now and again, because it helps people like me try to really think through how something is going to sound to a newbie, rather than just saying what I think. People are never going to want to hear that they puppy they love (and rightfully so) wasn't exactly the bargain they had hoped for...but that doesn't mean we don't welcome everyone here. And it doesn't mean we should stop trying to educate people before they buy...for every one person that is sick of the message, there may be fifteen reading silently that are getting something from it. I am truly sorry when someone's feelings are hurt about their beloved pet by something they read here...but if another person is helped by the post, that is important too.
  • Benji the Basenji

    Member Introductions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    nomrbddgsN
    Hi there and welcome to the forum!